Iver Johnson 410 information

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by techoca, Nov 3, 2008.

1. techoca

techoca New Member

I am seeking information on an Iver Johnson 410 shot gun that I inherited from my Grandfather. I have read 2 posts on related IJ 410's and still have questions concerning my gun.

The following information about my IJ:

Single Shot 410

Barrel Markings: "-410 Bore-Barrel and Lug Forged in One-"
    Pat'd June 15 15 Pat's Pending
    77246C stamped on bottom of barrel breach

Action Markings:
    Iver Johnson's
    Arms & Cycle Works
    Fitcheburg,Mass USA
    Champion

Serial # behind trigger guard - 77246C

Those are all of the markings found on the gun.
    The barrel length is 23 1/4"
    Overall length is 39 1/2" (tip to butt)
    14" stock

I have several questions:
    1)What is the model?
    2)How can I tell if it is small or large frame?
    3)Is this gun safe to use, provided that a gunsmith has oked it.(Specifically Barrel material)
    4)What ammo is safe to use in this gun?
    5)Is this gun appropriate for a 10-12 year old to hunt small game?
    6)What estimated age is the gun based on the facts provided?
    7)Has the barrel been altered? The barrel does have a sight on the tip and does not appear to me as altered.

Thank you,
    Eddy
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the patent date june,15.15 is the date of patent #1,142,934, which covers mounting a small bore barrel on a standard size frame. i do not have a factory serial number list for iver johnson shotgun but from examining other iver johnson single barrel shotguns i would guess this one date to the late 1920's.

the catalogs list for the standard size frame in 410 bore as having barrel lengths of 26 or 28 inches. chances are the barrel is altered and there is no choke left. all iver johnson 410's were full choked when they left the factory. iver johnson's small frame 410 manufactured 1916 to 1921 are listed as having 26 or 28 inch barrel lengths

the model is as marked on the frame "champion". be sure and have the chamber length checked, it could be only a 2 inch chamber and it is definately not a 3 inch chamber. in view of the fact the barrel is most likely altered and there is no choke left this is probably not the best 410 to start a young shooter with.
    bill
  3. techoca

techoca New Member

Thank you for the information, I appreciate your time and knowledge.
    Eddy
  4. techoca

techoca New Member

Bill,
    the chamber measures 3". I would guess that the chamber has also been altered. Would you still recommend 2 1/2" shells?
    Eddy
  5. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

if the chamber has been lengthen to 3 inches this reciever is strong enough to handle modern 3 inch shells. the iver johnson champion single barrel shotguns were among the first (1900) to feature a automatic adjusting barrel lock. i would not try any hot hand loads in it.

FYI
    a 1938 iver johnson parts list offered rechambering of earlier iver johnson 410's to 3 inch chambers at $1.75 plus round trip shipping charges. it appears a lot of people took them up on this.
    bill
  6. techoca

techoca New Member

Bill, Thanks again!
  7. icemansteve

icemansteve New Member

Ummm i have a question but nooooo clue how to start a thread even I have a Iver Johnson 410 gauge choke bore... Barrel and lug foreged in one... I was wonder what ammunition it would take
  8. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

with just the information you posted the answer is 410 2 1/2 inch shell available at almost any store that sell shotguns shells.
    bill
  9. csyfjks

csyfjks New Member

Hi i have a 410 champion, choke bore, barrel and lug forged in one, pat d. june 15, 15. the number on the under side behind the trigger guard is 51171any infromation on the date and where to get replacement parts would be helpful.
    it shoots 3" shells
  10. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

this 410 is one of the early standard size frame models. the patent date listed is for a patent covering the mounting of a small bore barrel on a standard size frame. this gun was manufactured between 1916 and about 1921 after 1921/22 era no patent dates were stamped on champion single barrel shotguns.

CHAMPION MODEL 36------------------------------------------1909-1960's
    Single barrel; rebounding center mounted hammer; top lever operated break open design; gauges: 12, 16, and 20; barrel length: 28, 30, and 32 inches (features barrel and lug forged in one piece) bored full chock only; American black Walnut butt stock and fore-end; automatic extractors; weight 6¾ pounds; overall length with 30 inch barrel 45 inches; case hardened receiver (nickel available as option), browned barrel; automatic ejectors extra cost option; .410 bore, 24 and 28 gauges offered in 1913; 24 gauge dropped 1928; all gauges except 12 dropped after 1941; name changed to Champion single Barrel in 1917. Some of these single barrel shotguns have been seen with Canadian marking, these were most likely shipped to Canada and then marked as there is no evidence that Iver Johnson’s Arms & Cycle Works ever had a manufacturing factory in Canada
    VALUE: 100%=$250 60%=$95
    Add 15% for 24, 28 gauges

if this gun will now accept a 3 inch shell it was rechanbered as the original chambering was 2 1/2 inch. iver johnson first 3 inch chambered 410 was the skeet-er double barrel in 1932 and the single barrels were first offered in 3 inch chambers between 1933 and 1935.
    bill
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  11. CountyWorker

CountyWorker New Member

I have the same shotgun, it was also my Grandfather's. The serial # behind the trigger gaurd is 3372D. Does that make it an earlier gun than techoca's? What is it's value?
  12. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

your shotgun with a single letter suffix in the serial number was most likely made in the 1920's. a couple of years after techoca's listed above.

the value quoted above is between 100%=$250 daown to 60%=$95
    bill
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  13. CountyWorker

CountyWorker New Member

b.goforth - Thank you for the reply. I noticed that techoca's gun has a single letter suffix and a higher number than mine. His is older?
  14. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

yes, it has a C letter code and yours has a D letter code.
    \bill
  15. CountyWorker

CountyWorker New Member

Thanks again for your help.