Iver Johnson .410 shotgun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by floridareenactor, Jun 3, 2010.

1. floridareenactor

floridareenactor New Member

My uncle passed away and I was given his Iver Johnson Champion single shot
    .410 shotgun. The shotgun is marked with the "Cycle Works" and has the serial number 19469xf. I have done research that leads me to believe this was manufactured on or before 1916, but I am not sure. Can anyone help me find out the age of the shotgun? Thanks much.

James Morgan
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

iver johnson champion single barrel shotguns with two letter suffix in the serial number were made between 1930 and 1939. for now this is about as close to a manufacture date as i can give. this should make this 410 built on the standard size frame of the model 36.

CHAMPION MODEL 36-------------------------------------1909-1922
    Single barrel; rebounding center mounted hammer; top lever operated break open design; gauges: 12, 16, and 20; barrel length: 28, 30, and 32 inches (features barrel and lug forged in one piece) bored full chock only; American black Walnut butt stock and fore-end; automatic extractors; weight 6¾ pounds; overall length with 30 inch barrel 45 inches; case hardened receiver (nickel available as option), browned barrel; automatic ejectors extra cost option; .410 bore, 24 and 28 gauges offered in 1913; 24 gauge dropped 1928; all gauges except 12 dropped after 1941; name changed to Champion single Barrel in 1917.
    CHAMPION SINGLE BARREL------------------------------1923-1978
    This is the same gun as the earlier Model 36 champion except that the smaller gauges are now built on the same frame as the large gagues. See above picture for specifications. The exact year production stopped has not yet been determined. Some of these single barrel shotguns have been seen with Canadian marking, these were most likely shipped to Canada and then marked as there is no evidence that Iver Johnson’s Arms & Cycle Works ever had a manufacturing factory in Canada
    VALUE: 100%=$250 60%=$95
    Add 15% for 24, 28 gauges
    bill
  3. Imonurteam

Imonurteam New Member

Yet another IJ 410 question. I've searched the forums here and else where and can't seem to find info on my paticular gun. Here's my details.

Champion
    Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works
    Fitchburg Mass. U.S.A.

.410 Bore-Full Choke-Barrel and Lug Forged In One

Butt Plate has Iver Johnson with an owl below it.

Serial Number: UUFG

No other markings on the gun.

Just curious as to manufacture date. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

champion single barrel shotguns with all letters in the serial number (like this one ) were made in the 1940' and until about 1956.

see above post for values.

the 410 gauge was added to the standard size frame about 1913 or 1916. since its been awhole sinse i posted what the letters mean i will do so now. they are based on the word FITCHBURG each letter is used instead of a number.
    your gun with the letters UUFG would translate to 7719.
    F=1
    I=2
    T=3
    C=4
    H=5
    B=6
    U=7
    R=8
    G=9
    X=0

another use of letters code that seem to help identify is how many letter suffuxes there are:
    no letter suffixes= 1909-1919
    one letter suffix= 1920-1929
    two letter suffix= 1930-1939
    all letters= 1940-1956
    unknown= 1971-1975

bill
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  5. Imonurteam

Imonurteam New Member

Wow. Thanks for the super fast response. Any other details you know on this gun?
  6. ACWick

ACWick New Member

Hi,
    I have one of these shotguns, it was my Grandfather's. While my son was looking through my Grandfather's guns we inherited he was asking questions, I am not a gun person so I don't have the answers.

Ours says:
    Iver Johnson's
    Arms & Cycle Works
    Fitchburg, Mass USA
    Champion
    On the barrel:
    410 Gauge - Barrel and lug forged in one -
    Just behind the trigger:

I know it's old, but not how old.
    My son wants to clean it/oil it. (He's got a kit for that) The shotgun has been sitting in a gun safe for several years. Are there any concerns over that?

Like I said I personally don't know much about guns, but my son is learning, we have a family friend that takes him hunting. Any help is greatly appreciated.