Iver Johnson .410 Single Shot Shotgun

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Desert Dog, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Desert Dog

Desert Dog New Member

This is my first post so hopefully this is in the correct place.

I inherited an Iver Johnson Arms and Cycle Works Champion.410 shotgun. I would like to know if I can shoot today's ammo through it. Serial Number is 21716. I have no idea how old it is. It seems to be in relatively good condition. It is a single shot smooth bore. On the barrel it has stamped .410 Gauge-Barrel and Lug forged in one.

Thanks in advance for any information any of you can provide.
  2. redworm

redworm New Member

I think these s/brls were chambered for 2 3/4"ammo.......Having them checked out by a competent gunsmith is always a good Idea.These sre sturdy s/brls an have a little collectibility.........Redworm
  3. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

They are chambered for 2-1/2" shells unless marked for 3 inch. There is no 2-3/4" .410.
  4. redworm

redworm New Member

I appreciate that Bill I've never shot a short 410.......That would of been some hunt looking for the elusive 2 3/4. Someone else will probably tell you it is chambered for something else..........I would shoot nothing but the 2 1/2" 410. Those are great little scatter-guns...........Redworm
  5. Desert Dog

Desert Dog New Member

Thanks guys,
    I take it then as long as I use 2-1/2 inch shells it should be safe to fire? I was concerned about the pressure of modern loads verses how ever old this thing is and how they were constructed. I think they made them back as far as the early 1900's. I'd take it to a gunsmith but I'm way out here in the boonies. Closest one is 1-1/2 hours away.
  6. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

I think you're safe with the 2-1/2s.