1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Iver Johnson .410 Single Shot Shotgun

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Desert Dog, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Desert Dog

Desert Dog New Member

This is my first post so hopefully this is in the correct place.

I inherited an Iver Johnson Arms and Cycle Works Champion.410 shotgun. I would like to know if I can shoot today's ammo through it. Serial Number is 21716. I have no idea how old it is. It seems to be in relatively good condition. It is a single shot smooth bore. On the barrel it has stamped .410 Gauge-Barrel and Lug forged in one.

Thanks in advance for any information any of you can provide.
  2. redworm

redworm New Member

I think these s/brls were chambered for 2 3/4"ammo.......Having them checked out by a competent gunsmith is always a good Idea.These sre sturdy s/brls an have a little collectibility.........Redworm
  3. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

They are chambered for 2-1/2" shells unless marked for 3 inch. There is no 2-3/4" .410.
  4. redworm

redworm New Member

I appreciate that Bill I've never shot a short 410.......That would of been some hunt looking for the elusive 2 3/4. Someone else will probably tell you it is chambered for something else..........I would shoot nothing but the 2 1/2" 410. Those are great little scatter-guns...........Redworm
  5. Desert Dog

Desert Dog New Member

Thanks guys,
    I take it then as long as I use 2-1/2 inch shells it should be safe to fire? I was concerned about the pressure of modern loads verses how ever old this thing is and how they were constructed. I think they made them back as far as the early 1900's. I'd take it to a gunsmith but I'm way out here in the boonies. Closest one is 1-1/2 hours away.
  6. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

I think you're safe with the 2-1/2s.