Iver Johnson .410 single shot

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by 10_point_buck, Mar 1, 2010.

1. 10_point_buck

10_point_buck New Member

I inherited a gun that was my great-great-great grandfathers. I'd like to know if anyone could tell me more about it.

1) Age
    2) Value
    3) History

Here is what I have:

Iver Johnson's
    Arms and Cycle Works
    Fitchburg, Mass USA
    Champio
    -410 Bore-Barrell and (cant read it) forged into one.
    Serial number 38045C

It is a .410 shotgun. The action is tight and the wood is in fair/good shape. At one time, someone did try to "clean" up this gun on the metal surfaces, so it has some issues w/ the finish.
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

duplicate
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  3. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

iver johnson single barrel champion shotguns with a single letter suffix to the serial number were manufactured between 1920 and 1929. it seem that most of the 410 were used quite a bit and very few are in excellent condition. the original finish was an oil finished stock, browned barrel and case hardened frame.

CHAMPION MODEL 36--------------------------------1909-1922
    Single barrel; rebounding center mounted hammer; top lever operated break open design; gauges: 12, 16, and 20; barrel length: 28, 30, and 32 inches (features barrel and lug forged in one piece) bored full chock only; American black Walnut butt stock and fore-end; automatic extractors; weight 6¾ pounds; overall length with 30 inch barrel 45 inches; case hardened receiver (nickel available as option), browned barrel; automatic ejectors extra cost option; .410 bore, 24 and 28 gauges offered in 1913; 24 gauge dropped 1928; all gauges except 12 dropped after 1941; name changed to Champion single Barrel in 1917.
    CHAMPION SINGLE BARREL---------------------------1923-1978
    This is the same gun as the earlier Model 36 champion except that the smaller gauges are now built on the same frame as the large gagues. See above picture for specifications. The exact year production stopped has not yet been determined. Some of these single barrel shotguns have been seen with Canadian marking, these were most likely shipped to Canada and then marked as there is no evidence that Iver Johnson’s Arms & Cycle Works ever had a manufacturing factory in Canada
    VALUE: 100%=$250 60%=$95
    Add 15% for 24, 28 gauges

bill
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  4. 10_point_buck

10_point_buck New Member

From reading your post, it is hard to tell if it is a Champion 36 or Champion Single Barrel? What would I look for to determine this? Would the 36 have that on it somewhere? All I see on mine are the different patents and the dates for them. I will look at where it said "champion" and see what I can find. The "n" on Champion was worn away already, so if it had something after it, I may not see it regardless.

Thanks for the help.

Brian
  5. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

i am sorry my post wasn't clear. i believe the model 36 was marked on only the earliest guns (1909 to about 1912) but the name continued to be used until the 1921/1922 catalog. the values are the same with or without the model 36 markings.
    bill
  6. bfd230

bfd230 New Member

I just picked up an Iver Johnson 410. My aim was to have some fun with it, namely chop it down to a shortened barrel, with a pistol grip. No good reason for it, but it just seemed like a fun project, with a fun little gun at the end of it. But, from what I am reading, my "new" 410, has a 5 digit serial number, followed by a "B", and with my limited math skills I think this gun is atleast 81 yrs old now...if I read the posting from b.goforth correctly. The gun has had someone attempt to refinish the wood, but other than that, it looks pretty darned good. Now I don't know if I can bring myself to chop it up for a play-around gun. The wife is gonna freak when I tell her this is the second 410 I bought, but don't want to cut up. Oh well...she'll get over it. : )