1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Iver Johnson .410 Skeeter questions

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by pavedave80, Dec 8, 2011.

1. pavedave80

pavedave80 New Member

Hi all,
    I have inherited an Iver Johnson Skeeter in .410. Took it to my local Cxxxxx store to have it assessed. I was disappointed in the valuation. The guy said that the finish was the problem. I don't know if the stock was shortened, but there is damage to the finish between the Hawkins butt pad, and the wood stock.
    Is the Hawkins butt pad original, or aftermarket?

I know all values are subjective with some collectors preferring a "patina", while others prefer a "new" finish.

What can be done to increase the value of this shotgun? And where can I search to find authentic finishes.

Thanks,
    Dave
  2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Dave.

The Hawkins butt pad would not be original. Bill Goforth's book lists the "Jostam Anti-Flinch" pad as an extra cost Skeeter option, but I'm surprised one was added to a 410 unless to lengthen the stock. He lists 14-1/2" as stock length.

There's probably not much you can do to increase value, as any refinishing usually lowers it.
  3. doubleslover

doubleslover Member

The more you tamper with it, the less it will be worth. I would leave it unless the stock is really damaged. If it is just that the original finish has wear, leave it. Can you post a pic?