iver Johnson 410 trouble

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by iverjohnson61, Oct 1, 2012.

1. iverjohnson61

iverjohnson61 New Member

Hi all, I have just joined the fire arms forum I have an Iver Johnson 410 single shot ,shotgun, serial number B6778. I inherited the gun from my uncle, the problem with it is, when you try to insert a 410 shell into it it only goes into the chamber about half way and it sticks, it wont go any farther without forcing it quite hard, I tried and had to use plieers to get it out. What could be the reason for this.
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Welcome to the forum! sorry for the hassles

not to be rude but do check to see if theres a left over case end or something else tight blocking it

next

what size shells are you putting in ? some guns take only 2 1/2" shells and a 3 " sticks out and jams ..

i think the early models like yours where only 2 1?2" ( but the real experts will be along to tell you fact on that)

( sorry but we get new shooters here and ya gotta ask )

ok if they are all ok next is to get as good as possible view through it and look for chamber bulge , with a light shining in all most parallel to the chamber wall

any bulge will shine the highlight if you have this take it to a good gunsmith to get it checked and see if you can save it or get a replacement barrel ( should not be too hard with that model or too expencive )
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  3. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

You should be able to see inside the chamber easily....
    anything in it? [rust...etc]
  4. iverjohnson61

iverjohnson61 New Member

Thanks for the replies, and the advice. I have looked inside the barrel and there doesn't seem to be anything stuck there like an old shell casing. I am using 2 1/2 inch shells. I will try the chamber bulge test. What I have been doing is using a brush with some oil on it to try to clean the chamber, that has helped, now I can get the shell in up as far as the brass, I will try cleaning it with real gun solvent. Someone told me that your not supposed to use modern shotgun shells with steel shot in these old shotguns, because they could damage the barrel, is this true.
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

hey if it getting better the more you clean thats humidity and build up ( its swells with moisture get it out and check for pitting ( it can make acid ) hope your in time
  6. iverjohnson61

iverjohnson61 New Member

Ive been cleaning the barrel with gun solvent, and the shell seems to be going in a bit deeper, but the brass end still sticks out about a half inch, and won't go in any farther .

I'm using a 2 1/2 inch shell, I was wondering did Iver Johnson ever make a 410 gauge with a 2 inch chamber. I got the serial number off of the barrel it's 66778 or BB778, I couldn't tell if the first two digits were "B's" or "6's".

Thanks