Iver Johnson .45 revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Erritu, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Erritu

Erritu New Member

I received this as a birthday gift, and was trying to find out more information about it. Such as, when it was made, where, etc. Any info would be awesome.

[​IMG]

Left side has stamped: IVER JOHNSON'S
    Fitchburg-Mass-USA

Right side has stamped: A shield?, PSF with a star above the letters, and then AA inside a box.

Under the barrel, and in two other locations a five digit numerical serial reads: 2883{x}

Thank you for your assistance.
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Welcome to TFF, you've got an Uberti manufactured 1873 Cattleman, imported by IJ. Probably from the mid 1970's or so. I've got some digging to do to find the S/N lists from these ones. Worth between 325-400 in good - exc condition.
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

quote from the late Mr. Goforth :

"the cattleman revolvers were imported from uberti as unassembled parts and then final finnishing and assemble was done at the iver johnson factory (by then located in middlesex new jersey). as late as 1983 at least two of the italian gunsmiths who came over from italy to supervise the finishing of these revolvers were still in the employ of iver johnson at their new factory in jacksonville, arkansas."
  4. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

AA dates it to 1975.
  5. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

"PSF" is the Italian Nitro proof mark (Polvere Senza Fumo).

AFAIK, Italian proof houses do not prove parts, so the presence of the proof mark indicates the gun was completed and proved in Italy, not imported as parts and assembled here.

Jim
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Jim, if it was imported here as a "gun", it would say "Italy" on it, somewhere. If it was brought in as parts and assembled here, it was "made" here, and would not have to be marked "Italy".
  8. Erritu

Erritu New Member

Wow! That was a quick and informative response. Thank you very much, I sincerely appreciate you all sharing that knowledge.
  9. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Also if it was built in Italy and shipped here it would have a cat. number on it.
  10. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I like your gun.
  11. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I've never seen an Iver Cattleman with a short barrel, I wonder if the barrel has been changed? Wouldn'd change the value, in fact I always liked the storekeepers or sheriff's model.
  12. Erritu

Erritu New Member

I believe its the original barrel. The serial on the barrel matches the serial found on two other locations.
  13. Goody

Goody Member

The easy way to tell is that if it was made as a Sheriff's model is there will be no boss at the front of the frame for mounting the ejector rod tube. Some folks will grind this away, but you can't hide that fact.
  14. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

15. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

:) However the " Usage of the "Cattleman" name survived the Iver Johnson association. I have just never seen a short barrel Cattleman with Iver Johnson markings. However, I have seen the mountains and the elephant, but realize there are still a lot of things I haven't seen
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011