Iver Johnson 9mm M1

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by lead, Sep 4, 2005.

1. lead

lead Active Member

I'm a sucker for an oddball and I found one today. An Iver Johnson M1 carbine in 9mm. It was made in Jacksonville, Ark., in the 80's, and comes in an Iver Johnson black synthetic, pistol grip stock. It has a 15rd. mag.
    I bought it, took it out this evening and ran a few clips through it. It shot great. No recoil, accurate, and fun. Only the first round didn't eject, after that it worked perfectly.
    I haven't found much on it on the web, I don't know how many were made, but it is a nice little rifle.
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

The I.V. JJ9MM carbine was made between 1985 and 1986. This is a copy of the U.S. Military M1 carbine. Blued finish and hardwood stock. Magazine is 20 rounds. Chambered for the 9mm cartridge.

Exc. $260
    VG $200
    Good $150
    Fair $100
    Poor $80

Add 10% for folding stock. Deduct 5% for plastic stock. No info on how many were made!

They also made a Delta-786 carbine in 9mm, but it has a matte black finish, not blued. It was made in 1989.
  3. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the iver johnson arms co. 9mm carbine was actually listed in their catalogs for the years 1985, 1986,1987 and then again in 1991 & 1992. however there was no actual carbine production in 1991 and 1992. they were selling leftovers and anything they could put together from parts on hand (shut their doors for good in spring of 1993). for the years 1985 through 1987 iver johnson only reported rifle production of approx 32,000 which included carbines 30 and 9mm caliber and several imported 22 rimfire rifles. while the exact number of 9mm carbine is unknown it is low (probably not many more than 1500). there were some problems with the magazines of the first ones which used modified browning hi-power type. what would be considered very rare and possible one of a kind is the enforcer (pistol version of the carbine) model in 9mm. iver johnson reported in 1990 220 30 caliber enforcers and one 9mm enforcer manufactured this is the only 9mm enforcer to ever show up on any of the reports iver johnson made to the BATF.
    bill
  4. lead

lead Active Member

Thanks for the info guys. I looked in the Blue Book and didn't find an adequate discription. I looked in an old Gun Traders Guide and found a picture of what I have, listed as the "Survival Carbine". They showed a one piece stock, and a folding stock. I have the one piece. Only discepency is, it says it is stainless, mine is blue. Mine was in like new condition. It's supposedly been sitting in someone's safe for years. I paid $300. for it. I hope it keeps shooting as well as it did last night.
  5. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the stocks for the iver johnson survival model carbines were advertized as being made of 'ZYTEL' and were manufactured for them by choate mfg. co. who also sold them under their own name as an aftermarket item for all carbines. they were made in folding and non-folding styles and offered on the stainless and blue finished models. the stocks that iver johnson furnished will have the iver johnson arms co. name molded into the stock on the left side and also have the owl logo molded into the pistol grip area. these iver johnson survival carbines were also offered for a very short time in the 5.7mmj chambering.
    bill
  6. somcat

somcat New Member

RE: magazines for the IJ M1 carbine in 9mm

so, the early models used 20 rnd modified Browning Hi-Power magazines. Did they solve the early problems with the HP mags, or did they switch to something else.

i have a 9mm version without a mag. I'm just wondering what will work!
  7. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

somcat,
    the one 9mm version i owned had a 12 round browning hi-power mag. i have had no experences with the higher capacity ones. the original mags furnished were after market browning hi-power type not browning made. these were a little higher at the back. the problem was solved by lower the back of the magazine (with a file) so the bolt would not drag on it. this may have been a problem with only one batch of magazines.
    bill