Iver Johnson age

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by oneidaone, Dec 4, 2012.

1. oneidaone

oneidaone New Member

Hi guys new here. My father just bought a 1900 model iver with solid frame serial no. 57846 on trigger guard and frame just wondering if this was a smokeless gun and what caliber it is no pics at this time. thanks
  2. RJay

RJay Active Member

Regardless of whether it is a small frame, medium frame or large frame, the serial number falls with in the 1905 time frame. It would be considered a black powder firearm. Iver Johnson did not go to a smokeless frame until 1909. It is impossible to determine the caliber from the serial number. The 1900 revolver was chambered in .22RF and .32 and .38 S&W center fire.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  3. oneidaone

oneidaone New Member

It seems to be the small frame rimfire 5 cylinder does this help on the caliber any
  4. RJay

RJay Active Member

It is probably the .32 S&W. If the hole in the barrel is larger than a .22 and is smaller than approximately .38/100s, then yes it is 32. I just went back to my book, apparently it was made in .32 Rim fire. If that is the case you don't have to worry about shooting it, 32 rim fire ammo is not available other than as a collectors item.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  5. oneidaone

oneidaone New Member