The Firearms Forum banner

Iver Johnson arms info needed

740 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  gspointr 
#1 ·
I have an older Iver Johnson's arms and cycle 6 shot pistol. Serial number is C90797. I am just looking to find info on this gun as to what year it was made and what kind of ammo it used. This was found in my grandfathers things after he passed.

#2 ·
Looks like you failed to read this:

Exclamation .IMPORTANT!! Follow Guidelines or Post Will Be Removed
Please describe the item in as much detail as possible.

Detail does not mean "in good shape" ,describe how the wood is, how much blueing (% of original finish left) there is etc., and anything else you see that may be helpful.

Tell us all marking, words, and letters anywhere on the gun.

PICTURES are required. Clear, sharp pictures....full length, both left and right sides, as well as closeups of any unusual features, engraving, etc.
Here's How: http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=19430

Example:

If you have an old gun and the markings on it are E over LG then the gun was made in Belgium.

You may try doing a SEARCH and find your gun value. If not, START A NEW THREAD instead of bringing up an old post that has already been answered. THE OLD POST MAY BE IGNORED..

Our entire range of staff, are more than happy to assist you, as well as many of our membership in general, in order to try and answer your questions.
This forum is for firearms values only. Anything else will be deleted.

All members are invited to participate but no guessing. We prefer you use the Standard Catalog of Firearms. It's much closer to real value than Blue Book. Blue Book is better for trade values.

Just remember, we are trying to help YOU. The more info you give us, the more accurate the value will be. And don't forget a couple of PICTURES.
Our experts work hard to give you an accurate value on your firearm so give them the info they need.

Also, we are not an air rifle forum. These posts will be deleted.
No offers to buy or sell in this forum. We have a Buy/Sell/Trade Forum for that.

Any attempt to buy or sell on this forum will result in your suspension from TFF.

If your post is removed it's because the guidelines were not followed.

Now, get those pictures up ASAP and we will try to help.

#3 ·
Sorry, I was not very clear. I was just trying to find out what year and caliper the gun is. I was not looking for any kind of value on it. I did see a post in the top talking about the first letter of the serial number which represents the year it was made but that was all the post said. So I have no idea what year the C was done in.

#4 ·
Here is what I can tell you, I will try and get pictures up later. The C90797 serial number was found under the grip. It is in poor shape as the nickel plate is starting to peel off. There are no markings on the sides or bottom of barrel, there are no markings under the trigger guard. the only markings on the gun are on the top of the barrel and from what I can read say Iver Johnson's arms & cycle works, Fitchburg mass usa. there are also some markings on the bottom of the grip that are not legible but look to be pat. nov. 17 (can not make out the rest) and pat "?" pending. Grips are wood and well worn so if there was anything on them before I can not see them. As I mentioned this is a 6 shot gun with hammer, top breech, the release for the breach is knurled on the sides. Again, just looking for year and possibly caliper the gun is as there is nothing marked on it. I will try to get some photos up later this evening if it helps more.

#5 ·
I must not have been very clear either.

Without pictures, how are we to tell exactly which model IJ revolver you have ? Do you know IJ made more than one model pistol ? Do you know they made more than one style ?

Without pictures, how are we to tell the calibers the revolver was made in ?

Do you think I'm asking too much ?

#6 ·
I just said in my last reply I will get some photos taken this evening and post them. No reason to get sarcastic on here. I always thought you could tell the year a gun was made by the name of the manufacturer and the serial number, but I was wrong. For that I am sorry.

#8 · (Edited)
I just said in my last reply I will get some photos taken this evening and post them. No reason to get sarcastic on here. I always thought you could tell the year a gun was made by the name of the manufacturer and the serial number, but I was wrong. For that I am sorry.
Welcome to TFF, but Iver Johnson made it complicated:

The C prefix was used only on .38 S&W caliber hammer topbreaks, but three different periods:

1896-1897, 1900-1901, and 1909-1917

However, the only times a patent date starting with Nov 17 was used were some 1911-1913 production and 1914-1941, and originally read PAT.NOV.17.08 (1908)

So if the C is real and not a poorly stamped G, you have a smokeless powder gun made early 1916.

It should have a coil mainspring, and unless the grip is a one-piece target type, the wooden grips are probably replacements for original hard rubber ones.

OOPS: I just noticed you listed it as a six-shot: If so, it will be .32 S&W Long caliber, added as an option made on the large size .38 frame.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.