Iver Johnson Cadet 55-SA

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by obxned, Mar 22, 2010.

1. obxned

obxned New Member

This is a .38 S&W double-action revolver that loads by a loading gate like a single-action Colt. The finish is nichel or chrome. The revolver is in excellent condition, and very beautifully built. Serial number is G95xx.

I can find absolutely no information on the little gun. Can anyone help me out?
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

I.J. CADET MODEL 55S-----------------------------------1955-1960
    The difference between the Model 55 and the Model 55S is only in the barrel length and grips. Grip panels are two piece small pocket size Tenite and the barrel length is 2 ½ inches and finish is blue. Does not have Hammer the Hammer action. Caliber .22 rimfire with 8 rounds cylinder capacity, recessed chambers with Flash Control front rim (cylinder unfluted until 1958); Weight 24 ounces; Frame height 4 inches; Frame length 4 7/8 inches; Overall length 7 inches. DOES NOT HAVE HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION
    I.J. CADET MODEL 55SA----------------------------------1961-1978
    The difference between this A series and the earlier series is the addition of a loading gate to the right side of the frame. All specifications are the same except a small weight gain because of the loading gate. Also two new calibers offered 32 S&W Long and 38 S&W.
    DOES NOT HAVE HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION
    VALUE: 100%=$225 60%=$95

bill
  3. obxned

obxned New Member

The one I have is not blued, it is nickel or chrome. Does anyone have information on this variant?
  4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

during 1974-to 1978 a "satin nickel" finish was offered on the "New American Bulldog" variatant of this model. this is the only nickel finish i have seen on the model 55A and 55 SA. the serial number you list does not seem high enough to fit that variation. can you provide pictures.

bill
  5. sfce700

sfce700 New Member

hello and thanks in advance, have a model 55 s a. unable to get the safety to release, or the trigger will not fully engage, only sufficient pull to rotate cylinder to chamber a round but hammer will not fall. why?