iver johnson champion 12 guage

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by tedbeau, Jun 27, 2011.

1. tedbeau

tedbeau New Member

I just purchased am Iver Johnson Champion 12 gauge. I was readin on this or anotehr forum that some of these were black powder guns. I was hoping someone would be able to help me identfy the year my gun was manufactured.

Forgive m but I am a total shotgun newbie. All I can tell you is it's a single shot 12 guage, with the break lever in the middle behind the hammer.

The top of the barrel says

-12 guage full choke barrel and lug forged in one-

On the left side it says

Champion
    IVER JOHNSONS ARMS AND CYCLE WORKS
    FITCHBURG MASs USA

The only other numbers or markings I can see are the letters RIC
    in the metal behind the trigger guard.

Is there anyone that can tell me if it's ok to shoot field loads in this gun?
    I should also add that the gun has had the barrel shortend to 18 1/2". The widow of the owner said that the barrel was done by a gun smith.
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, there are no records to exactly date I.J. shotguns as there are for revolvers. But the letters marked in the normal serial number location date yours well into the smokeless powder era, as the late Bill Goforth explained (scroll down to posts by eodrob 96 on 11-09-2008 and Bill's reply 11-10-2008 in this long thread:

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=49043&highlight=iver johnson champion