Iver Johnson Champion model 822 target Revolver Finish

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Old Gun Guy, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

Hello!
    I have a plum-colored Iver Johnson model 822. I think most people assume that because the patina is changing to this color that the firearm has been re-blued. I had a Dan Wesson revolver that had turned plum-colored,(known affectionately as "Barnies" in the Dan Wesson community), and I was told by numerous people that because of the stronger alloy used in some firearms, the bluing salts would make it change to this color.
    This IJ 822 has all matching serial #'s, the stampings are all sharp and not worn by polishing. The frame is most noticeable, but the barrel is starting to show the same plum color. In Bill Goforths book on Iver Johnsons, page 79, it states that the barrel, frame, and action were made "extra heavy". IMHO, I think that is the reason that it is turning this color, because of the different alloy used in this particular model.
    Has anyone ever experienced this on an Iver Johnson revolver? Your inputs would be most appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Old Gun Guy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

i will stand by my statement "any iver johnson revolver that has a plum colored frame has been refinished". iver johnson's blued finished revolvers were a thin blued finish and quickly wore off (i have several in my collection) but never turned plum (i also have a couple of these). on this revolver no bluffing or polishing probably was needed only stripping of what remained of the original blue.

i might add only in modern times have two toned gun been accepted, never in the the pre or post war era.

also would like ot add that when i worked for the houston high standard mfg. co. more often that not our frames would come out plum. they had all kind of reasons why, but the simply reason is not enough care was taken in the bluing process. they were left either too long or not long enough in the solutions.
    bill
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  3. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

Bill,
    In your opinion, how much was the value of this revolver degraded by the re-bluing? Does it seriously affect its collectibility, as it is a fairly rare revolver.
    Thanks!
    Old Gun Guy
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  4. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

Hello!
    This is one of the last questions I asked Bill Goforth before his sad and unexpected death. (post previous to this one).
    Can I get your honest opinions about how much the collectibility of this I.J. model 822 has been degraded by being re-blued?
    Thank you!
    Old Gun Guy
  5. gunplumber

gunplumber New Member

If the rev was case hardened at the factory or if too much silica was used in the casting (as in the post 64 Win 94) you will get that color when you hot blue but I don't see how it could apply to the bbl. There is a chance on small parts with the silica event that you can raise the temp on your tanks and get them to blacken but no chance on the Win rec. I understand that value goes south when this happens. Hope I'm wrong about that but I have seen no evidence otherwise. The only time I ever see this to any extent today is in the Ruger 77 rec. If you get them in a good light you can see a plum tint to those also due to the degree of hardness in their receivers
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  6. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

gunplumber,
    Thanks for your input. I suspect that it has been re-blued somewhere along the way, but I've had people that have looked at it tell me that the markings wouldn't be as sharp as they are if it had been polished before bluing, as is the procedure in most cases.
    I think I'll sell it with the disclosure that it has been re-blued and see what I'm offered. Thanks again for your resonse!
    Old Gun Guy