The Firearms Forum banner

Iver Johnson Champion Stocks

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Shrek73 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if Iver Johnson used different types of wood on their Champion shotguns? If so, what wood did they use?

I have an older 16 ga Champion (circa 1909-1919) and the wood appears to be very dark. I just bought a .410 ga Champion(circa 1920-1929) and the stock was also very dark. The forearm was split and missing a lot of wood. The stock had a crack in the wrist and the previous owner used some sort of epoxy to fill the crack. They never banded it together when filled it in, so there is a visible gap and I cannot remove the old epoxy to try and fix it correctly.

I found a replacement forearm and stock on eBay, and they fit perfectly. They have matching numbers and were covered with layers of some sort of lacquer. Yesterday I stripped off the lacquer and found the stock was almost a maple color, not the walnut color of the old stock and my 16 ga. The stock appear to be original, does anyone know if Iver Johnson used Maple for stocks?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.