1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Iver johnson date of manufacture

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Vinny03, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Vinny03

Vinny03 New Member

I have noticed on other sites that people dont like discussing Iver Johnsons but this question is important to me. I just received a Iver Johnson breakover revolver that belonged to my great grandfather I believe it is called a safety hammer it does have a hammer. I was told its a .38 short(.38 S&W). The hammer does not lock back when you cock it i doubt it was made that way but i dont know alot obout these guns. I was wondering if anyone could tell me when it was made the serial no. Is 1288**. I know they are virtually worthless but it has great value for my family. Any info would be very appreciated thanks in advance.
    Vince
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the hammer version of the safety automatic revolver was designed to work both ways. the single action sear of your revolver is broken or the spring is broken or missing . the single action sear is the lever behind the trigger inside the trigger guard.

your revolver has too many numbers in the serial number all iver johnson revolvers of this era had only 5 digits with a letter prefix. could the first 1 actually be an I. the I was used a couple of times, first on the large frame 38 caliber second model (in 1903) and then later on the third model small frame 32 hammerless. please give a detailed description of the marking and where they are found.

bill
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  3. Vinny03

Vinny03 New Member

I just took a quick glance at the serial it could very well be an I and not a 1. The # is located on the underside of the trigger guard. It is fitted with a wood grip not plastic and on the top of the barrel is reads Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works Fitchburg, Mass. The sides of the barrel are worn down so badly nothing is visible if anything is written there. I will check the serial for sure again if this info isnt enough. I am also sure it is a .38, i took a .38 spcl round and put it in the cylinder and it took it about half way but my thinking was if it was a .32 it wouldnt have went in at all right.
    Thanks for your help Bill.
  4. Vinny03

Vinny03 New Member

Ok i rechecked the serial and it is only 5 numbers with no prefix letter its 1288*
  5. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

look for a serial number under the grip, remove them. are the wooden grips over sized attached by a single screw thru the bottom?
    bill