The Firearms Forum banner

Iver Johnson Defender Help

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  CudaEddie 
#1 ·
We found an Iver Johnson Defender from our fathers stuff and need a little info on it.
It has plastic handles and inside has the #28 on left side of frame.
Looks like a .32 cal
What does it shoot? Is there ammo? Don't really care what is it worth.....but?
Lastly I need two parts, the cylinder pin release and its spring. Where do I find parts.

Eddie

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Well, Bill Goforth in his book list two models, the Birds Head model and the Square butt model. His photos show the birds head model with round barrel and the square butt modes with octagon barrels? ( listed as the Model 89 ) However he also stated that he had been told that there existed the model 89 with octagon barrels and birds heads grips. I would say you owned such an animal. The only way these guns can be dated is by years of production the early birds head 1873 to 1888, square butt Model 89, 1889 to 1899 All of these guns were rim fire, both the 32 and 41 rim fire are for all practical purposes t non existent except for collect samples. About 30-40 years ago a batch of 41 rim fire was made but it is long gone. The guns were produced in three frame sizes, small (22 rim fire ) 32 rim fire, and 41 rim fire and are considerd black powder. only. Parts and value, sorry can't help. Perhaps others have more information or even more valid information.

#3 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.