Iver Johnson Double Action Model 1900

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by sdubay, Oct 10, 2008.

1. sdubay

sdubay New Member

Hello,

I have inherited an Iver Johnson Double action model 1900. It has a solid frame. Its serial number is 3850.

I have seen a number of posts on similar guns but not exactly this one.

I guess I need to confirm its age and caliber.
    I need to know if it used black powder cartridges or smokeless.
    (I kind of want to shoot it but do not know if it is possible or safe).

THe pictures do not do it justice. The patina is near complete (looks like it was made that way) and the gun looks to be in excellent condition to my untrained eye.

Let me know if any other info is needed.

Thanks

Stephen

Attached Files:

2. sdubay

sdubay New Member

Forgot to mention it holds 5 rounds.
  3. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the model 1900 double action was manufactured between 1900 and 1941. the early production revolvers without letter codes to the serial numbers are to be considered as designed for black powder cartridge pressures only. iver johnson made the switch to smokeless powder in 1909 and at that time started a new serial number series which included a letter code prefix for the model 1900.

this revolver serial number 3850 (no letter code on left side of grip frame) if a 38 S&W caliber was was manufactured about 1903 or 1904 at the latest. if it is a medium frame 32 S&W caliber it was manufactured in 1900. its appearence is of the large frame 38 S&W model.

these are well built revolvers manufactured with the best steel available at the time but iver johnson never recommended anything but black powder in any of thier firearms until 1909.
    bill
  4. sdubay

sdubay New Member

Thank you so much for you help. I guess I will mount it on the wall. My son will be thrilled as it is his wall.

Any buyers?

Thanks again.
  5. fancypants269

fancypants269 New Member

I have a model 1900 that is unlike any i have seen so far... i know it is the medium frame 5 shot .32 cal. i have not scene any with brown almost plain wood grips. the only design is a dimond around the screw on either side.

I have determined it was manufactured 1900 or 1901 i was wondering if anyone knew how many of this model gun were made in 1900. or if anyone has more info on the serial number 11284.

anouther thing is the serial number was punched in on the bottom of the trigger gaurd cant tell if this was done after manufacturing
  6. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

before commenting on this revolver i would like to see pictures of it if possible. have you removed the grips to check for a serial number and letter code found there. serial number were placed on the bottom of the trigger guard. in 1904 and after.

bill
  7. happyhunter1957

happyhunter1957 New Member

I have a model 1900 38 with serial number 5671. I am new to this site, how do I submit new post with pictures to get reviews?
    Thanks
  8. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Welcome Happy click on the right side "ask what its worth" then click on new thread top left i have never put pictures on so i can't help u there
  9. sc500

sc500 New Member

Hi My dad had this Iver Johnson 1900 the end of the barrel measures .359 so I'm thinking it' a 38 serial no. is under 4100. it has plexaglass for grips.any info would be appreciated. thanks

Attached Files:

10. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Your large frame 1900 was built in 1903, since Iver Johnson did not go to a stronger " Smokeless " frame until 1909 your revolver must be considered a black powder only firearm, from the pictures it does not look to be in the best of condition, in fact it looks like it was rode hard, put away wet and then horse whipped:), the grips are obviously hand made and are not original. The value is not high most likely has more heirloom value than monetary, as is it would probably be valued under a hundred dollars. Best I can do, hope that helps.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  11. sc500

sc500 New Member

yes the cylinder is loose and doesn't index well. I would never dream of trying to shoot it. thanks jim