Iver Johnson Double Barrel 16 ga

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by rip_polaris, Oct 19, 2009.

1. rip_polaris

rip_polaris New Member

I recently inherited an Iver Johnson's Arms and Cycle Works shotgun and I am curious to find if anyone can give me any information on it. It is a 16 ga. The barrels are modified and full choke, 30" barrels and double triggers. Serial number 30055, and says patented March 16, 1915. I was wonder also what model this is. I am not really concerned with value but am curious. Thank you
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

for now i can only give you an approximate era of manufacture on this shotgun 1936 to 1942

IVER JOHNSON HAMMERLESS HERCULES GRADE------------------1924-1935*
    Box lock side by side double barrel; each barrel and lug forged as one piece then joined together; 12, 16 & 20 Gauge; Browned barrels and case hardened receiver; American Black Walnut butt stock and fore-end, hand checkered; plain extractor model has slim fore-end and automatic ejector model has beavertail fore-end with D & E fastener; hard rubber butt plate and pistol grip cap; butt stock is 14 inches in length, butt stock drop at comb is 1¾ inches and at heel is 2 ¾ inches; automatic safety; double triggers; overall length with 30 inch barrel 46 3/8 inches; weight 7¾ pounds. Hunting dog etching on the left side of the frame. Some of these double barrel shotguns have been seen with Canadian marking, these were most likely shipped to Canada and then marked as there is no evidence that Iver Johnson’s Arms & Cycle Works ever had a manufacturing factory in Canada. It has been reported that a special run of the Hercules double gun was manufactured for Montgomery Wards & Co. in the 1930’s Marked “WESTERN FIELD MODEL 53”.
    *Exact year undetermined
    VALUE: 100%=$1100 60%=$525
    Add 15% for auto-ejectors model
    Add 25% for single trigger

IVER JOHNSON HAMMERLESS (HAMMER FORGED MODEL)--------1936*-1941
    Same as Hercules Grade except left side of frame marked IVER JOHNSON HAMMER FORGED in two lines and right side of frame marked with company name and address,
    *Exact year undetermined
    VALUE: SAME AS HERCULES GRADE

bill
  3. rip_polaris

rip_polaris New Member

Thank you for all of your information. Did only the Hercules model say "Hammer Forged" on it? and there is no hunting dog on the left side, was that only on some models? What are the differences between the Hercules and the skeeter models? Thanks
  4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

some where around 1936 iver johnson stopped using the the name "hercules grade" and went to the name "hammer forged". the difference between the "hercules grade" and the "skeer-er" models was in all the hand fitting and extras you recieved on the "skeet-er".

i believe the name change from "hercules grade" to "hammer forged" was due to cutting cost.
    bill
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2009