Iver Johnson - Double barrel shotgun - 1915??

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by JimmyRS, Sep 12, 2011.

1. JimmyRS

JimmyRS New Member

Hi All,

I am new to this site looking for information on a firearm that was passed down by my grandfather. I currently live in Johannesburg, South Africa. It is a Iver Johnson with a serial number of 11684. My grandfather got it in the forties on an auction in Port Elizabeth, SA. Markings on the gun indicate Patented MARCH 16 1915, APRIL 27 1915.

As far as I am aware it is still in working order, due the laws here in SA, its not easy to fire weapons any more.

I have attached images and would appreciate any information anyone can provide on this, i.e. year, value etc.

Also how I could this gun sold?

Regards
    James

Attached Files:

2. JimmyRS

JimmyRS New Member

More pics

Attached Files:

3. JimmyRS

JimmyRS New Member

and more

Attached Files:

4. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. 1915 is just the patent date, the Hercules Grade was made from 1924 to 1941. I know nothing about values or laws regarding sale of firearms in South Africa, but you grandfather's gun is in poor condition, with no original finish and cracks in the stock and forend, and would have low value in the USA.
  5. TrawwAK-47

TrawwAK-47 New Member

My grandma just gave me this exact gun right after i turned 21 but she didnt know it was sawed off, what can i do about it?
  6. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

If the barrels are less than 18 inches take them off and one dark night throw them in a very deep lake but don't let anybody see you do it. Save all the wood and other metal parts on the off chance you might come across another set one day. If they're over 18 enjoy it.
  7. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Jimmy, your shotgun doesn't have any collector value, and it is in such poor condition that it really should not be used. About all it's good for is as a decorative designer's touch hanging over the mantle, and as such it may be worth $50 to $75 US.