Iver Johnson First Model .32 S&W

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by BWambach, Feb 1, 2009.

1. BWambach

BWambach New Member

Does anyone know the difference between the 1894 and 1895 Iver Johnson Safety Automatic First Model .32 S&W? I know that mine is a first model because of the single top latch, but I do not know how to tell if it is an 1894 or 95 model. I read that that it has to do with the cylinder retainer, but I am not sure what specifically. Any help would be appreciated.

BW
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

yes, there is a way to determinethe exact year of manufacture. the small frame 32 was first introduced in the last week of 1993 and stayed in production until the end of 1896.

first model 1893-until about april 1894= top of barrel marked iver johnson & co. 2 patent dates

first model 1st variation april 1894 until dec. 31 1894 marked iver johnson's arms & cycle works, 4 patent dates last one 12-26-93

first model 2nd variation 1895. same barrel marking difference is the threaded cylinder bushing type of cylinder retainer.

first model 3rd variation 1896until about mid year same barrel markings difference is the serial number on the bottom of the butt strap has the letter code prefix A

first model 4th vatiation 1896 about mid year until end of year same barrel marking difference is the serial number and A letter code prefix moved to the left side of the grip frame under the grip panel.

hope this helps.
    bill
  3. BWambach

BWambach New Member

Bill,

Thank you. I believe mine is 1895 first model because it has the same patent dates as the 1894 version, a threaded cylinder retainer and does not have a "A" letter prefix serial number.

Appreciate your expertise on this!

BW