Iver Johnson (h&r 999) lookalike

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by never e nuff, Feb 4, 2008.

1. never e nuff

never e nuff New Member

I received an Iver johnson 22 supershot sealed 8 in a gun deal. This pistol is almost identical to my father inlaws 999 sportsman, top break, slab side barrel, adjustable sights, auto ejecting, double action. Upon further research I belive it was made in the 1950's and was marketed as the model 844. Not a high quality piece but still kind of fun to work the action, and easy to load. The problem is it needs a trigger return spring and a new prawl and or spring and the only place that i know of that might have the parts (gun parts) is less than helpfull. Does anyone know who to call that might be able to help a old revolver get back into working order? Thank you.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the 22 supershot sealed eight was introduced in 1932 (the same year H&R introduced the model 999). remove the grips and check the serial number on the left side of the grip frame (should have a letter code in that location, the 22 supeshot sealed eight used two different letter codes during its production run). it was discontinued in 1957. the slab sided barrel was introduced in the early 1950's. the third model 22 supershot sealed eight introduced in 1953 was the only one called the model 844 and it will be marked on the revolver. the first and second models with adjustable sights are the model 833 and that number will not be marked on the revolvers.

the only part for the 22 supershot that is hard to find is the firing pin (there were two different types used). just about any of the parts dealer should have what you need. in the case of the cylinder hand it will have to be used because there have been no new ones manufactured since 1957. on the other hand there are new springs made for this model, just have to hunt for them.

in my opinion the 22 supershot sealed eight is a better revolver than the H&R model 999, but iver johnson stopped all revolver manufacture in 1978. H&R continued to manufacture the model 999 until 1986 and new england firearms/H&R 1871 manufactured thier model 999 until 1999.
    bill
  3. never e nuff

never e nuff New Member

Thank you bill, the serial number is the same under the grip and on the bottom of the trigger guard. L37594 according to your discription it is not marked 844, so that would make it a 833. this revolver wares a one piece grip, that has been rather sloppily hand checkered only on the back strap area in about 180 degrees with a diamond shape.
    If you could be so kind to please throw me a bone and inform me of anyone having any supply of parts i would appreciate it.
  4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

serial number L37594 was manufactured in 1947. does the serial number on the bottom of the top strap match the others (remove the cylinder to see). if it does then the slab sided barrel was in use before the 1950's.

i have had good luck with gun parts but if not helpful try jack first or bob's gun parts in royal, arkansas.
    bill
  5. never e nuff

never e nuff New Member

Yes Bill, The number on the bottom of the top strap matches. This revolver in seems at this point to be an unmolested survivor. The owner must have had trouble with it, and gave it to the gentleman that gave it to me. I am sorry for not repleying sooner but I am a college student, father, and I have a part time job. Not much me time. Is jack you refer to an employee at bob's gun parts? Or is jack a different supplier?
  6. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

jack first is the name of a parts supplier i believe some where in montana.
    bill
  7. James a. Pendleton

James a. Pendleton New Member

I am looking for a new or like new 1 pc. birds head grip for my H&R defender 38. Any leads will be appreciated
  8. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Check with Numrich Gun Parts: http://www.gunpartscorp.com/forum click on Harrington & Richardson for model lists. Your piece is a Model 925. If they're out - check on gun auction sites, e.g. www.auctionarms.com and www.*********.com - these grips show up on those sites occasionally - you may have to keep looking for a couple months. Good Luck!