Iver Johnson Hammerless 38

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by predictatv, Jan 7, 2010.

1. predictatv

predictatv New Member

I've a , once blued, type II hammerless Iver Johnson in 38SW. serial # 74343. Patents on left barrel pivot and Iver name on top strap.

The lifter is broken and hammer has been, on purpose, ground down past firing in. Numrich lists the hammer. But, is sol on specific lifter. Is Type II safety hammer and type III's the same lifter? Revolver otherwise AOK.

Can a differing model lifter be adapted? I ask because I was successful filing down a 1900 38SW sear to fit an earlier American Bulldog 38spl. Brought back the single action function. Patience helped.

Have a Type I Safety Automatic 38SW blued
    Type II Safety Automatic 32SW blued
    America Bulldog 38spl nickle
    Now Type II Hammerless 38SW
    Thanks
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the internal mechanism of the first and second model are the same (only difference is the barrel latch). the internal mechanism of the third model is different, all coil or wire type springs.

if you tell numrich you want a lifter for a large frame 38 caliber old model (their terminalogy) you should get what you want.

regardless of how easy it is to order on line i feel telephone call to them will ensure you get what you want. if you have the old broken lifter send it to them so the can match it.

a note to the wise. do not ever try to shoot a 38 special in an older 38 S&W american bulldog. you will hurt something the gun or yourself. only the very modern version of the american bulldog was offered in 38 special manufactured between 1974 and 1978. it was not marked american bull dog just advertized as a modern recreation of the old model. in reality it was a model 55SA offered in 38 special.
    bill
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  3. predictatv

predictatv New Member

Thank you very much for your advise, GoForth. I was not sure about a Type I and Type II parts interchange. I do still have the broken lifter. It broke at the mount hole. Like these old Ivers. Just getting into rebuilding these as a hobby. Much easier to do than I'd first believed.

I've not fired the American Bulldog. Have only just made it operational. So, the extra chamber length for the cartridge, compensates for the short barrel? I did find it odd that I've a revolver built before 38spl that chambered that round. Revolver has been lucky to make it to 2010. Want it to stick around a tad longer.