Iver Johnson hammerless 3rd Model question

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by charlo75, Nov 26, 2012.

1. charlo75

charlo75 New Member

My gun has a s/n of D57438. It's a .38 S&W 3rd model hammerless. Could I get some info on when this revolver was made? I believe it needs a firing pin spring because the firing pin never retracts (see pic). The ejector doesn't extend either. Can you point me the right direction on finding the needed parts? I think I found the firing pin spring on gunpartscorp.com (part #524350B) but I want to make sure. Any additional info on this gun would be greatly appreciated!!

Attached Files:

2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

That is the Third Model, but the firing pin springs were the same and the part number you mention should work.

Jim
  3. charlo75

charlo75 New Member

Thank you sir. Another question that I let slip is this: Is the "large" frame defined by the caliber .38 (large frame) vs .32 (small frame)? Any ideas on the ejector's function/non-function?
  4. hrf

hrf Active Member

All the .38s were large frame, but there was a small frame 5-shot .32 S&W caliber model, and a large frame 6-shot .32 S&W Long caliber.

Does the firing pin move freely when pushed in? If not, it might just be stuck in fired position due to rust or debri.

The ejector cam might be worn or the cam spring broken, which Numrich lists out of stock.
  5. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have the same gun. It was my wife's grandfathers issue pistol from the city of Chicago 1922. I don't think he ever shot it. In working order they are not worth much. Cabela's had one on the rack by here for $175 and they are high on there guns.
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

If I am reading Bill Goforth's book correctly, that gun was made in 1913.

Jim
  7. charlo75

charlo75 New Member

Thanks for all of the info. To answer your question, no the firing pin is stuck and won't move at all. Guess I should get it removed and look at it.
  8. charlo75

charlo75 New Member

I learned a little tonight. After taking the gun apart (enough to clean), I know how it operates. The ejector works now but the firing pin spring must be weak because it still won't rest after the hammer drops. I have a new one on order though. Hopefully it will be back to shooting soon!