Iver Johnson Hammerless Pistol

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by WarrenK, Aug 1, 2011.

1. WarrenK

WarrenK New Member

Gentlemen, I need some help identifying a pistol. Any input would be appreciated.

As stated, it is an Iver Johnson hammerless pistol

S.N. 59963 stamped outside under the trigger guard
    S.N. U59963 was located under the grip under the left side of the butt strap

Top of the barrel reads:

Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works
    Fitchburg, Mass U.S.A.

Thanks in advance for your help!
  2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, Warren.

The U serial number prefix was used only on the second model small frame .32 S&W caliber hammerless.

SN U59963 was made in 1908 for black powder ammunition, the last year before upgrades for smokeless powder.
  3. WarrenK

WarrenK New Member

Thanks for the welcome hrf, and the valuable information. I appreciate them both. I did notice that there was some rifling in the barrel. Do you know when that became a common practice with black powder ammunition?
  4. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

?? - Gun barrels were rifled long before the invention of smokeless powder, and when new the rifling in your gun and later smokeless powder models would have been the same. But black powder was corrosive, and if guns were not cleaned properly after firing the rifling was damaged.
  5. WarrenK

WarrenK New Member

???.....sorry, didn't claim to be a gun geek by any means, was just curious. I do however appreciate all the info. Great time searching around all the forums. Thanks again

Warren
  6. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

And I apologize if my question marks offended; I just wasn't sure if I understood what you were asking.
  7. WarrenK

WarrenK New Member

Oh, no offense taken hrf, you answered my question as to the rifled barrel just as I asked. I really wasn't sure. Sorry, I guess the question marks did look a bit off color with the following remark. Nothing like typing to lose the context! Thanks again!

Warren
  8. codygx123

codygx123 New Member

help

SN on trigger guard : 32919
    SN under grip : B32319
    Dates on Butt : June 16 96 Aug 25 96
    T.16.04 PETS PEND
  9. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

See reply to your other post.