Iver Johnson Hammerless Question

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by 5-Shot, Mar 26, 2008.

1. 5-Shot

5-Shot New Member

I've just acquired two 5-shot, hammerless revolvers; one is an Iver Johnson. The IJ has the following:
    Serial No. D68558, Top strap markings "Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works Fitchburg Mass. U.S.A.", No left side barrel markings, No caliber indicated, Buttstrap markings "PAT NOV 17, 08 PATS PENDING", Bottom of trigger guard "68558", 3 1/4" barrel, Owl facing the hand grip, Hammer spring - coil type.

From reading the forum, I've made certain assumptions, which are:
    This is a Third model, .38 S&W, manufactured between 1913 and 1941, and is safe for modern ammo (assuming it checks out, otherwise.)

Can you tell me if the assumptions are correct? What year it was manufactured? Any other detail?

Thanks!
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

your assumptions are correct. this is a third model safety automatic hammerless revolver. serial number D68558 was manufactured in 1917. there were 4,700 of this model manufactured that year. the iver johnson shipping records were lost long ago so this is all the information i can give.
    bill
  3. 5-Shot

5-Shot New Member

Thank you for your expertise and information.

The other hammerless is a Harrington & Richardson. I'll be back on the forum with details after I take a closer look.