Iver Johnson information request

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by EliseB7, Oct 5, 2010.

1. EliseB7

EliseB7 New Member

Hi,

I am hoping that b.gofirth can give me some information on the gun I recently acquired.

I believe it is an Iver Johnson safety hammer .32 revolver S&W but I could be wrong. Here is the information I have, and some pictures. I see a lot of reference to the owl in Iver Johnson guns, but my gun has a monogram, not an owl. An explanation of that would also be appreciated.

.32 S&W bullets

barrel - length 3inch

5 shot cylinder

top of barrel says, "new england fire arms co. - worcester, mass."

on bottom of grip - "9 310"

on front side of handle - "2"

on cylinder "84 384"

on release "3834"

serial number located inside grip "33 84"

I included pictures of : gun opened, bottom of grip, front side of grip, and the numbers on cylinder and release (numbers on cylinder are very tiny)

The gun itself seems to be in great condition except for a little rusting above the grip. The cylinders and barrel look exceptionally clean. I am curious if it is safe to shoot.

Please let me know if you need any further information or pictures.

Thanks in advance!!

Elise

Attached Files:

• 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      160.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      101 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      85.5 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      199.4 KB
      Views:
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

this revolver was made by Meriden Firearms Co. the date of manufacture is questionable because no one knows for sure just when Meriden started making top break revolvers and when they stopped. meriden was a large supplier to sears, roebuck & co. around the turn of the century (1900). the manufacture date i believe can be put about 1900 to 1915.

there are some people who will say this revolver was manufactured by H&R Arms Co. because of the use by H&R of the name new england firearms in the late 1990s. the unique front sight (upward sweep at front and rear) is seen on about 90% of all meriden firearms co. revolvers. the monogram at the top of the grips stand for Meriden Firearms co.

meriden is not known today for the quality of metal used. they were safe when new but that was a long time ago. all meriden products should be check by a qualified person and not be fired unless in almost like new condition.

one last guess as to the name and city stamped on the barrel, there could actually have been a real company named new england firearms operating in worcester before 1900 and it was the founding father of the meriden top break revolvers but i doubt it. no records i have look at would support this, but any thing is possible.
    bill
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  3. EliseB7

EliseB7 New Member

Thank you so much. I appreciate the information!

Elise