Iver Johnson M1 Carbine

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by firebird8073, Aug 22, 2012.

1. firebird8073

firebird8073 New Member

Had a class with a young man tonight who brought an Iver M1 carbine, matte stainless finish with a black plastic folding stock. Got it from a relative who bought it some 30 years ago, apparently never fired. Does anyone have experience with this weapon? I couldn't figure out if it was reconditioned or a full-on repro. He didn't know too much about it. It was in perfect shape and functioned flawless until the magazine baseplate slid out of the bottom. We put it back together and it carried on without a hitch. Very accurate too. He was shooting 5 inch groups at 25 yards with the stock ghost rings. I've come across plenty of carbines, but none like this. Any insight on this carbine would be appreciated, take care guys.
  2. firebird8073

firebird8073 New Member

Well, I've done some research which I should've done before. Seems IJ made some repros in the 70's and this has got to be one. Value about $450-500.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Iver used new-made receivers with GI parts to build their guns.

That might be chrome-plated or it might be nickel-plated, but I'm pretty darn sure it ain't stainless.
  4. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

IJ made a full stainless version of the M-1 carbine. They also made a full stainless version of the M-1 Enforcer pistol. I have one. Some of the small parts may be industrial chrome plated, but the great majority of the guns were stainless steel.
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

And I had to wait all the way to 10:30 at night to learn something. Dang.
  6. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

After ww2 the M1 carbine was made by dozens of companies from (primarily) surplus parts. Iver Johnson eventually became the final manufacturer of carbines, they had outlasted or absorbed all other manufacturers. In the 60's they used all new parts, no real quantity of surplus was left. Included in the companies holdings were Plainfield mfg. and others that used non-milspec parts or receivers of their own "improved " design. Some worked better than others; Iver Johnson began to make guns out of stainless to attract new buyers as stainless guns were "new" on the market then and the M-1 was still wildly popular. Also offered were "coated" finish guns and chamberings other than 30 carbine with folding stock options and even the enforcer pistol.
    Since the above mentioned gun works/cycles well, it is apparent that you have whatever ammo it will work well with; some guns had a poor reputation due to (probably) inconsistant ammo.

Sounds like a keeper, have fun.
  7. savage170

savage170 Member

Bought this one about 20 years ago I think for around 75.00 I hate to guess how many rounds have been thru it. Was my kids favorite to shoot as they was growing up.
    [​IMG]