Iver Johnson Model 1900 DA 22 cal

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by DoubleTap, Dec 4, 2008.

1. DoubleTap

DoubleTap New Member

I would like to know when this gun was manufactured:
    Above the cylinder on the frame: IJ *Double Action* Model 1900 Ficksburg Mass. It has about a 5 7/8 inch long octagon (target?) barrel (does have rifling). The cylinder comes out with a pin release. The hammer sits in the cylinder area. The hammer is released by a metal arm behind the trigger (when the trigger hits it). The serial number is 231xx on the bottom of the trigger guard (no letters).
    Action seems way warn. I am not sure the timing would be safe to fire.

I did take a picture & can email it.

If the third series had a flip up frame, is this a second series 1896 to 1908?

Thanks for the help. DT
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

I.J. MODEL 1900----------------------------------------------1900-1941
    Does not have Hammer the Hammer action, solid frame, double action, pull pin cylinder release. Nickel finish standard with blue optional, all barrels are octagon shaped. Offered in three frame sizes and four calibers, grip panels are hard rubber with Owls head logo; Barrel length; small frame 2 ¼ inches, medium & large frame 2 ½ inches, other length barrels were offered at extra charge; Calibers: small frame .22 rimfire with 7 rounds cylinder capacity; medium frame .32 rimfire & centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity, large frame .32 centerfire with 6 rounds cylinder capacity, .38 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity; Weight with standard barrel length: small frame 11 ounces, medium frame 12 ounces, large frame 18 ounces; Height: small frame 3 3/8 inches, medium frame 3 ½ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 inches, medium frame 4 ¼ inches, large frame 4 7/8 inches; Overall length with standard barrel length: small frame 6 inches, medium frame 6 1/8 inches, large frame 6 ¾ inches. Note: large frame model not introduced until 1903. DOES NOT HAVE HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION.
    VALUE: 100%=$135 60%=$85

this is a different revolver from the top break 'safety automatic revolver' series and were manufactured along side them starting in 1900. the main serial number location is on the left side of the grip frame and is the location where any letter code prefix will be found. with this full number and letter code if any i can give you year of manufacture. the serial on the bottom of the trigger guard is a secondary location and can not be used as trigger guards are interchangable. there were three different serial number series used on the 22 rimfire caliber version of the model 1900.

the markings on the top strap suggest it was manufactured after 1909 so there should be a letter code under the grip on the left side of the frame.
    bill
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  3. DoubleTap

DoubleTap New Member

Thanks for the information. I will see if my friend will check for a letter to identify the year. Thank you, DT