Iver Johnson Model 1900 "Target"

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Ithaca-dbl12, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Ithaca-dbl12

Ithaca-dbl12 New Member

Last nite a friend gave me an old Iver Johnson .22 rim fire, 7 round revolver. Very beat up. Someone shortened the barrel which unscrews from the body. I think this is best as a wall hanging. Maybe one of you can shed some light on age and further details. The markings on the top are "I.J. TARGET Model" and "Model 1900 Fitchburg, MASS U.S.A." Serial number under the wooden handle is A32497 and on the finger guard 32497. I've cleaned it up and gotten it "more functional" but it is very well worn. I've included a photo to help in identification.

Attached Files:

2. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Can you remove the grips and take & post pics of the mainspring. This revolver was made into the late 1930's or later.
  3. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. Your Model 1900 Target was made in 1928, and originally had a 6" or 9" barrel. The walnut target grip has also been shortened and rounded.
  4. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

I had one in really nice shape with six inch barrel and about 95% nickel finish, tight lockup, excellent grips, etc. Though it would chamber .22 long rifle cartridges, I conservatively fired only CB caps in it. Had it on my table for several gun shows and it finally sold for $165.
  5. Ithaca-dbl12

Ithaca-dbl12 New Member

Here are some more photos. Barrel does have nice rifling. Gun appears to never have been plated, most likely blued.

Phil

Attached Files:

6. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Thanks for the extra pics. "hrf" has determined that your revolver is circa 1928.

Barrels (likely original IJ, in 4.5" and 6") may still be available from Numrich for about $30 to $40 delivered. However they will likely require fitting, which is usually a job for a COMPETENT gunsmith, but not necessarily a vocational one. {Any one can call oneself a gunsmith.}

Obviously, your revolver was "cut down" to make a personal defense "pocket pistol". IJ's were generally regarded as inexpensive (cheap) firearms as compared to Colt and S&W. Until recently they have not had much collector interest and do not command prices typical of Colts and S&W's.

Your revolver was made in the "smokeless" or "nitro" powder era, but severl years before the introduction of "High Velocity" or "High Speed" .22 RF ammo. I do not know what specification steel(s) is is made from; but can see that its cylinder does not have counter-bores to enclose the case heads. Therefore, I would not try to shoot it with modern commonly sold HV ammo. It should be good for Standard Velocity or Reduced Velocity ammo if it is in otherwise good condition.
  7. Ithaca-dbl12

Ithaca-dbl12 New Member

Thanks for the info! This is well worn enough that I think the best place for it is as a wall hanger. I dare not attempt to shoot it. The cost on this was right... FREE. It was fun to strip it down and then figure out how it worked so I could put it back together.

I'll keep looking for a serviceable pistol. I have my heart set on killing some paper targets.

I'm having fun finding old guns, taking them apart and seeing if they might work, then cleaning them up. I'm on a low budget so when I get a free one and it is best used as a wall hanging I don't feel like I got cheated.