1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Iver Johnson model 1900

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by the lorax, Jan 1, 2009.

1. the lorax

the lorax New Member

My mother in law has a small collection of firearms, most if not all will go to my 6 year old when he is old enough to use them. most are older weapons, Winchester model 1897 and 1912 shotguns, Winchester model 1890 .22 short rifle, (2) Stevens model 87B .22 long rifles, Winchester model 61 .22 long rifle and an Iver Johnson model 1900 double action .32 5 shot revolver. I can find a reasonable amount of information about the Winchesters and the Stevens seems to have a good bit of info about them out there (by the way, where does one find the serial number on a Stevens rifle?) I have not had much luck in finding info about the I J. Actually, my search for information led me to this forum. so anything I could learn about this interesting little handgun would be useful, most of what I've been able to glean has reference an octagonal barrel whereas this one has a round barrel. again, any info I could get would be helpful, thanks in advance.
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

I.J. MODEL 1900----------------------------------------1900-1941
    Does not have Hammer the Hammer action, solid frame, double action, pull pin cylinder release. Nickel finish standard with blue optional, all barrels are octagon shaped. Offered in three frame sizes and four calibers, grip panels are hard rubber with Owls head logo; Barrel length; small frame 2 ¼ inches, medium & large frame 2 ½ inches, other length barrels were offered at extra charge; Calibers: small frame .22 rimfire with 7 rounds cylinder capacity; medium frame .32 rimfire & centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity, large frame .32 centerfire with 6 rounds cylinder capacity, .38 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity; Weight with standard barrel length: small frame 11 ounces, medium frame 12 ounces, large frame 18 ounces; Height: small frame 3 3/8 inches, medium frame 3 ½ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 inches, medium frame 4 ¼ inches, large frame 4 7/8 inches; Overall length with standard barrel length: small frame 6 inches, medium frame 6 1/8 inches, large frame 6 ¾ inches. Note: large frame model not introduced until 1903. DOES NOT HAVE HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION.
    VALUE: 100%=$135 60%=$85

be aware if this model 1900 does not have a letter code prefix to the serial number found on the left side of the grip frame under the grip panel it was manufactured for black powder cartridge pressures and is not considered safe with modern ammo (these were manufactured between 1900 and 1908). i would very much like to see a picture of this revolver because until now i have not seen one with a round barrel.

some stevens 22 rifles manufactured right before and right after wwII (up until 1968) did not have serial numbers.
    bill
  3. the lorax

the lorax New Member

I will get a pic for you, I wish I had seen your reply earlier in the day as I just got home from the mother in law's house. I'll try to make it a point to get over there this weekend and get a pic and get it posted. Thanks for the reply, although I believe this one does have an exposed hammer, it has IJ model 1900 stamped on the top of the gun and I think an "s" or a "2" or something stamped on the bottom near the trigger guard. forgive me for not having a better memory about this piece, I was trying to inventory all the weapons for her and was looking at several firearms during this time. Again, I'll try to get some pics of it this weekend. thanks again, Matt
  4. the lorax

the lorax New Member

OK, I have some photographs, first, I was mistaken, the barrel is octagonal, I was cataloging and moving the entirety of my mother in law's firearms when I looked at it last, and not being a real firearms expert, they apparently all started to blend together. That said, the serial number on this revolver is 15838, I removed the grip from the handle and got that info, not on to the pics, I'm unfamiliar with the process on this site so please forgive if they don't upload on the first try.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    I hope these come out alright. it does have some oddities about it, I was under the impression (possibly mistakenly so) that the animal's head on the grip was supposed to be an owl, this one has a dog on it, hopefully it comes out in the pictures. that is all I have for now, thanks for your help so far
  5. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

model 1900 serial number 15838 (no letter code on left side of grip frame) was manufactured in 1901, approx 11,000 manufactured that year. this revolver was manufactured for black powder cartridge pressures and should not be fired with modern ammo.

the bulldog head grips are a after market replacement that appeared on the market in the 1940's thru the 1960's, original grips did have the owl's head at the top.
  6. the lorax

the lorax New Member

Thanks Very much for the information, my mother in law might find it as interesting as I do. the gun was purchased or bartered for by her grandmother when she lived in Sullivan, IN a very long time ago, my mother in law and her mother moved to the Dayton, OH area in the '40s or so, mother in law graduated from one of our local high schools in '53. I don't know when her grandmother passed away, it was pre - '93, that's when I got involved with the family, I had heard that she bought it @ a five and dime, or that she traded beer or food for it. No one seems to know for sure. I thank you again for all the info about the gun, I'll be sure to consult the forum again if I have more questions or when I'm ready to purchase a firearm for myself. thanks again, Matt
  7. welderguy2

welderguy2 New Member

I have a I.J. Double Action Model 1900. This is what it says above the cylinder. On the trigger guard the number stamped is 36312. Also on the pistol grip is an Owl.
    Does anyone know the age and value.
  8. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

as stated above i need to know the serial number found on the left side of the grip frame, under the grips and caliber to give you the correct information on this model 1900
    bill
  9. frostydevil

frostydevil New Member

I have one here that was given to me by a friend at my gun club. "I.J. Double Action
    Model 1900"
    stamped on top of gun. Serial # is 15619 with a letter code C
    Can you tell me the year and if its a rimfire or centerfire? I think its a .32 but barrels look larger. I could be wrong though. Any help is appreciated, thanks!!!

BTW: its a 4" octagon barrel
    Last edited: May 21, 2009
  10. frostydevil

frostydevil New Member

here are some pics, maybe you guys could tell me what its worth (probably not much)

Attached Files:

11. frostydevil

frostydevil New Member

Ok, after further research, I believe this is a .38 centerfire. Flat hammer spring also indicates to me (or maybe I'm wrong) that its a model produced pre 1909. Fer some reason, my digital camera must be cheap and I cant get good clear up close pics, but in my last picture, where the serial# is, the letter C is way to the left, away from the serial#, on the edge of the grip frame. In all the posts I have read, I havent found a reference to the letter C. Any help is appreciated greatly as this piece of history is really interesting!!
  12. frostydevil

frostydevil New Member

BTW, no other markings are on this gun, no patent dates on top or side of barrel. Serial number w/o letter code "C" is also on the trigger gaurd.
  13. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the flat hammer spring was used on the model 1900 from its introduction until it was discontinued in 1942. only on the top break safety automatic revolver was the hammer spring changed to a coil one in 1909. large frame model 1900 serial number C15619 was manufactured in 1932, there were 2,300 of this model manufactured that year. if the cylinder has 6 chambers it is 32 S&W Long caliber and if the cylinder has 5 chambers it is 38 S&W caliber. the 4 inch barrel was offered but seldom seen today.

I.J. MODEL 1900--------------------------------------------1900-1941
    Does not have Hammer the Hammer action, solid frame, double action, pull pin cylinder release. Nickel finish standard with blue optional, all barrels are octagon shaped. Offered in three frame sizes and four calibers, grip panels are hard rubber with Owls head logo; Barrel length; small frame 2 ¼ inches, medium & large frame 2 ½ inches, other length barrels were offered at extra charge; Calibers: small frame .22 rimfire with 7 rounds cylinder capacity; medium frame .32 rimfire & centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity, large frame .32 centerfire with 6 rounds cylinder capacity, .38 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity; Weight with standard barrel length: small frame 11 ounces, medium frame 12 ounces, large frame 18 ounces; Height: small frame 3 3/8 inches, medium frame 3 ½ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 inches, medium frame 4 ¼ inches, large frame 4 7/8 inches; Overall length with standard barrel length: small frame 6 inches, medium frame 6 1/8 inches, large frame 6 ¾ inches. Note: large frame model not introduced until 1903. DOES NOT HAVE HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION.
    VALUE: 100%=$135 60%=$85

bill
    Last edited: May 22, 2009
  14. frostydevil

frostydevil New Member

Thank you so much bill!!! Wish I could buy you a drink!
  15. Lynden

Lynden New Member

Could someone please help me out with this serial number. 21900 It's a .38cal flat hammer spring with a ~2" barrel.

From what I've read I think it's pre 1909 just looking for any other info I can find. It was my grandfather's pistol.

Thanks.