Iver Johnson model 1900

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by the lorax, Jan 1, 2009.

1. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

use the information above for values.

main serial number found on left side of grip frame under grip (must remove grip to see).

serial number 21900 on left side of grip frame no letter code manufactured in 1901

serial number F21900 on side side of grip frame manufactured in 1910

serial number C21900 on left side of grip frame manufactured in 1946

no letter code found on the left side of the grip frame would indicate this revolver was manufactured for black powder cartridge pressures only.
    bill
  2. Lynden

Lynden New Member

b.goforth thanks for the info. There is no letter on the frame or trigger guard, therefore it should be a 1901 model made for blackpowder pressures. I'm glad I found this out before I threw a hot .38 in there and blew something of mine off. :)

I guess it's getting cleaned and displayed as an antique.
  3. Buck Cording

Buck Cording New Member

The model 1900 was manufactured from 1900 to 1941. It was offered in three calibers and sizes. .22 cal rimfire (small sized), .32 cal center fire or rimfire ( medium sized), and .38 SW centerfire ( large sized).

The serial number is located under the grip panel and might also be found under the trigger guard. If your revolver is the earlier version, or a type 1, then the revolver will be marked on the top strap with I.J. DOUBLE ACTION MODEL, 1900. If it is a later version, or type 2, it will be marked on the top strap with DOUBLE ACTION FITCHBURG, MASS, MODEL 1900 U.S.A.

There were approximately 219,700 of your .32 cal model made from 1900 till it was discontinued in 1941.

All of this information came from W. E. Goforth's book titled Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works Firearms 1897 - 1993.

I hope this helps!

Buck Cording
    bcording@cox.net:
  4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Buck Cording,
    Welcome to the forum.
    If you will look back a couple postings previous to yours, you will see that Lynden was actually communicating with W.E. Goforth back in 8/2009.
    Stick around, we can always use more help with the Iver Johnson pieces, now that Bill G. is no longer with us.
    Thanks.
  5. kylepanko

kylepanko New Member

If it is made for black powder only then why are the only parts that you can buy for this gun as replacements are all centerfire or rimfire. They dont make black powder parts for this gun.
  6. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Kyle.

Maybe you are thinking that black powder only means muzzleloaders? All cartridges, rimfire and centerfire, were loaded with black powder until 1890s when smokeless powder was introduced, and black powder cartridges continued to be available until ca 1930s.

If you have a black powder era Model 1900 (made before 1909) and are concerned about using later replacement parts, don't be, as no changes in lockwork design were made in the 41 years of manufacture. The upgrade for smokeless powder was the use and preparation of a higher grade of steel for the frame and cylinder.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  7. jmace57

jmace57 Member

Whoops - realized it is a different IJ model. Never mind;.

Attached Files:

• IJ1.jpg
      IJ1.jpg
      File size:
      86 KB
      Views:
    • IJ2.jpg
      IJ2.jpg
      File size:
      77.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011