Iver Johnson Model 56A Starter Revolver

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Old Gun Guy, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

!
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the original model 56 starter pistols have a solid barrel. not only the cylinder has been replaced but the barrel also has been replaced. most likely from a longer barrel version of the model 55 / 55A.

in 1978 the ATF suggested to H&R to redesign their starter revolvers so that they could not be converted to cartridge firearms. this is the last year iver johnson made revolvers so i am sure it was uuggested to them also.

the internal mechanism of the model 56 / 56A starter revolver is the same as the model 55 / 55A, only the barrel and cylinder are different. it would be an easy conversion. as long as the timming is correct there should be no problems firing any 22 long rifle ammo available today, this serial number was manufactured in late 1960's early 1970's. the model 56A was introduced in 1961.

it might be a good idea not to let the ATF know of this revolver. you might want to consider deleting this post. it is not to my knowledge illegal to convert one this way but rules change.
    bill
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  3. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

Bill,
    Thanks for the info. I may change out the barrel, or cut a groove for a front sight. I don't know the legality of owning this revolver, but the transaction was done through an FFL dealer.
    BTW, how's the H&R book coming along?
    Old Gun Guy
  4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the H&R book is in the hands of the formatter. He is about two third finished. just need the single barrel shotguns and the several apendixes left to do. and then a new round of editing begins again. so far it looks to be a very big book.
    bill
  5. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

Bill,
    I'm really looking forward to it. Your Iver Johnson book helps me tremendously, and I need the same help for my H&R projects.
    Old Gun Guy