Iver Johnson Model 66 Trigger spring

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Solamar, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Solamar

Solamar New Member

I recently saved several old handguns from the bottom of my dads tool chest. An early S&W M1917 Army that someone took a torch and cut the frame in front of the trigger (painful…) A pre WWII H&R M5 flare gun, that someone hit the barrel with a sledge hammer:eek:. And a Iver Johnson Model 66 .22 revolver that appears to have been assembled improperly, then used as a toy (looks like the hammer was dropped on a incorrectly indexed cylinder about a million times).

The S&W and H&R aren’t salvageable (fireable), but the action still works. I’ll proudly hang them in my collection.

The Iver Moldel 66 appears to be complete and in fairly good condition. I’d like to get it back in fireable condition.

Problems –
    The trigger does not reset to the full forward position.
    The cylinder does not rotate (index) correctly.

I have a good exploded view drawing of the Model 66 and all parts appear to be intact. My suspicion is the trigger spring is installed incorrectly. It is sort of sitting around the trigger stop and resting in a notch in the forward end of the trigger guard. Does this sound correct?

Any other areas I should look into?

Thanks so much for any help offered.

Matt
  2. Solamar

Solamar New Member

Here are the new additions to the collection.

The Model 66 is S/N K795. Any way to date it?

Attached Files:

3. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

There are no specific serial number records for the Model 66 and there were several variations made 1958-1974.

The earliest have the SN on front grip strap and address spelled out Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works.. Later ones have the SN on right side of frame and address shortened to Iver Johnson's..
  4. Solamar

Solamar New Member

Thanks for the info HRF. The serial number is on the front grip strap and "Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works" is on the barrel so '58-'64 I suppose.

I've been working on the trigger a fair bit today. I'm fairly confident that everything is assembled correctly and perhaps the trigger spring has become a bit weak.

I am surprised by the amount of friction caused by the lifter dragging back down over the hammer pawls. I polished the area and found a very slight improvement but still too much for the small trigger spring to overcome.

Almost seems like the lifter/lever spring is putting too much force on the lifter while sliding down the hammer pawls.

I am able to get the cylinder to index correctly if I push the trigger forward after every trigger pull so at least that isnt an issue.
  5. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Are you oiling the trigger pivot points, etc. a bit after your tinkering?

Numrich has new trigger springs @ $5.25
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  6. Solamar

Solamar New Member

Oil, yes. The trigger moves freely with the hammer removed, and vice versa. It's when they are both install the trigger becomes stiff to return forward (seer installed or not does not seem to make a difference).

I just ordered a new trigger spring and lever spring (Numrich, Thanks). Hopefully that will make a difference.

Thanks for your help,

Matt