Iver Johnson Model 844

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by reman4u2, Jul 14, 2011.

1. reman4u2

reman4u2 New Member

I have an Iver Johnson Model 844 serial #A813. Can anyone tell me what year this gun was manufactored? Also, mine is nickel plated. Were they offered this way or is this a re-nickel? Can this .22 handle regular, off the shelf ammo or is it better to use Sub-sonic ammo? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. The Model 844 was a Supershot Sealed Eight third model, made 1953-1957. The first production used letter code L with the serial number, but when 100,000 was reached, numbering was started over at 1 with an A prefix, probably in 1956. It was offered only with blued finish, so yours has been nickel plated later. Original cost was $44.95. It will handle any regular off the shelf ammo.
  3. reman4u2

reman4u2 New Member

Thank you for the fast response. I have become an Iver Johnson devotee and all the info I get is appreciated. The only other Iver I have is a Supershot 22 with a seven round cylinder serial #4016 under the trigger guard. It's half blue and half plum colored. I would appreciate your input. Thanks very much. I really like the forum.
  4. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Since the 7-shot Supershot was made only 1928-1931 and all apparently had a K serial number prefix, it would have been made in 1929, but you can verify that by removing the grip to see the "real" serial number on left grip frame.
  5. reman4u2

reman4u2 New Member

This Iver is currently at the gunsmith because it has too much cylinder end play. He is going to put 2-3 "bearings" in it to take the slack out. Right now, when you shoot it, it only fires every other round. Interesting thing about this Iver, it is a single shot only. When you pull the hammer back to its locked position and pull the trigger, the pulling on the trigger advances the cylinder to fire the next live round. If you just pull the trigger, it advances the cylinder but does not engage the hammer. When I get it back, I will check for that letter and let you know. Thanks again for your expert knowledge.