Iver Johnson Model X .22 rifle

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by TxYoteHunter, Jan 11, 2009.

1. TxYoteHunter

TxYoteHunter New Member

Here's another for ya Bill. I've look all the way through 2008 threads and found nothing on this rifle. It's evidently been used a lot judging from the stock wear. Butt plate is missing, not well taken care of through the years. Can you tell me what year it was mfg'd? I'll try to post photos here. (edited here: I could not find a serial number anywhere)

Iver Johnson Model X .22 short, long, and long rifle Safety Bolt Action
    PAT'd Canada 1931 PAT 1,673,666.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

i do not have any factory records on the fine little 22 single shot rifle. it is the only 22 rifle actually manufactured by iver johnson. those available in the 1980's were all imported.

starting sometime in the mid 1930's the stock used on the model X was changed to the same as used on the model 2X. your rifle was manufactured before the mid 1930's.

IVER JOHNSON MODEL X .22 RIMFIRE SINGLE SHOT BOLT ACTION RIFLE----------1928-1941
    EARLY MODEL
    Bolt action; single shot; .22 rimfire caliber; fixed open rear sight, blade front sight; round tapered 22 inch barrel; thumb screw take down; stock turned from solid block of Walnut, drop at the comb 1 3/8 inches, drop at the heel 2 5/8 inches and length of pull 13¼ inches; weight 4 pounds; patented automatic safety; stock has large knob at front of fore-end; steel butt plate; overall length 39¼ inches.
    LATE MODEL
    Bolt action; single shot; .22 rimfire caliber; fixed open rear sight, blade front sight, round tapered 24 inch barrel; thumb screw take down; larger heaver stock than early model, drop at the comb 1 3/8 inches, drop at the heel 2 3/8 inches and length of pull 14 inches, finger grooves in fore-end; weight 4 ½ pounds; patented automatic safety; steel butt plate; overall length 41 inches.
    VALUE: 100%=$250 60%=$140

IVER JOHNSON MODEL 2X .22 RIMFIRE SINGLE SHOT BOLT ACTION RIFLE------1930-1955
    Bolt action single .22 rimfire rifle; adjustable rear sight and post front sight; round tapered 24 inch barrel; blue finish; thumb screw take down; checkered full pistol grip stock with finger grooves in fore-end; steel butt plate; chromium plated blot and trigger; butt stock has drop at comb of 1 3/8 inches and at the heel of 2 3/8 inches, length of pull is 14 inches; weight 4½ pounds; patented automatic safety; overall length 41 inches.
    VALUE: 100%=$285 60%=$175

IVER JOHNSON MODEL 2XA .22 RIMFIRE SINGLE SHOT BOLT ACTION RIFLE----1930-1941
    Bolt action single shot .22 rimfire; Lyman #55 adjustable rear receiver sight and Lyman #3 bead 1/16 front sight; sling swivels, leather sling strap; tapered 24 inch barrel; thumb screw take down; checkered full pistol grip stock with finger grooves in fore-end; steel butt plate; chromium plated trigger and bolt; stock has drop at comb of 1 3/8 inches, drop at heel 2 3/8 inches and length of pull of 14 inches; weight 4 5/8 pounds; overall length 41 inches; barrel proofed and targeted.
    VALUE: 100%=$325 60%=$225

the model 2XA is a very rare rifle. i have four of these rifles in my collection one is a model 2X converted to 2XA by added a rear target peep sight but it has noe of the other features of the 2XA.

remove the barrel action from the butt stock and look for the serial number on bottom of the barrel.
    bill

PS i hve used my standard model 2X to teach my two grandchildern how to shoot.
  3. TxYoteHunter

TxYoteHunter New Member

Bill, I appreciate all your help and information about the rifle. That's definitely more than I could find anywhere. I've removed the stock and had it down to the smallest pieces and I can not locate a serial number anywhere on it. Looks like I simply have a nice little plinker here. It's pretty accurate too.
  4. MDGretz

MDGretz New Member

Bill,

I am another owner of an Iver Johnson Model X Safety Rifle. I inherited this gun from my father (now deceased) many years ago. I believe he was the original owner. Both my brothers and myself have very fond memories of this gun, as it is the first firearm that we ever shot. Many cousins and friends also took their first rifle shot with this gun.

In fact this gun was so well used that just today I finally made it functional again. You see it had gotten to the point a number of years ago that the trigger sear and mating bolt hammer were so worn that the rifle would fire when you released the safety. I've had the gun in this unshootable state for about 10 years. I just recently discovered that Numrich Arms had some replacement parts for the IJ Model X. So I took the gun completely apart to see if I could figure out what it needed. It turned out to be easy! The new parts arrived last friday, and I installed them today. She seems totally fixed now and functioning perfectly. I can't wait for good weather to take it out and shoot it.

I have a few questions and observations about the Model X that I'd like your opinion on.

1) I noticed in another forum http://forums.*********.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=314780&SearchTerms=Iver Johnson
    that you said "so far i have not seen a serial number over 50,000". I am not clear on how Iver Johnson serial numbered the Model X, 2X, and 2XA rifles, but the serial number of the Model X that I have is 55581. As you described, this number is on the bottom of the barrel, under the stock. Would this number mean that my rifle was produced very late in the Model X production? FYI .. my gun does not have a knob on the end of the forearm.

2) Your model description here says that the late model X had finger grooves in the foreend. Mine does not. Perhaps I should take a few digital detail pics of my rifle to post here.

Also, is your Iver Johnson book available now? I can't seem to find it on www.gunshowbooks.com

Thank you for your help with documenting my family heirloom.

Sincerely,
    Mike
  5. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

mike,
    yes the i.j. book is available but it has very little about the model X series 22 rifles. i am still learning about them and what little is in the book and other places will change when more information is discovered. i would like to have pictures of your rifle with the high serial number. either more were manufactured than i thought or the model X was manufactured after the war.

for now the information i have in my book and the information that will be in the blued book 30th edition on the model X series should be considered a starting point. as in all areas of firearms study when no factory records are available things will change.
    bill
  6. MDGretz

MDGretz New Member

Thank you Bill for taking the time to reply to an Iver Johnson rookie. I really appreciate the opportunity to get some of my basic questions answered by an acknowledged expert on the subject.

No need to explain about the Iver Johnson history being a "work in progress". Isn't all history that way? FYI .. I am an amateur (unpaid and as yet unpublished) aviation historian, with special interest in the airmail pilots and barnstormers of the 1920s. There are a lot of holes in the documentation of that story too, so I know exactly what you are referring to. Here's my little web site on some of my aviation history work: http://members.zumatel.net/mdgretz/cam2main.html

Back to my Iver Johnson Model X. I took some pics today. Here are a few of the most pertinent ones.

Mike

Attached Files:

7. MDGretz

MDGretz New Member

A few more...

Attached Files:

8. TxYoteHunter

TxYoteHunter New Member

Mike, good looking rifle. It's in much better condition than mine by far. Where yours says "self cocking safety rifle" is where mine says " Safety bolt action". I pulled the stock again just to make sure i didn't miss the serial number but I could not find any sign of numbers past or present. By the way, I'd be willing to give you $100. for yours right now.
  9. MDGretz

MDGretz New Member

I mentioned that my Model X had worn out a couple critical parts, which caused the gun to fire prematurely when the safety was moved to the OFF position. Extremely dangerous of course, basically rendering the gun useless.

For many years I kept the gun thinking it would never be fired again. Then I discovered that Numrich Gun Parts Corp. had parts for the Model X, and most other Iver Johnson guns. Here's their page on the Model X: http://www.e-gunparts.com/products.asp?chrMasterModel=0770zMODEL X&MC=

The problem with my gun was that the bolt HAMMER (Numrich part no. 440650) was worn down to far that the TRIGGER SEAR (Numrich part no. 523120) would not engage it enough to hold safely. Less than $20 worth of parts fixed the gun and it's now working good as new.

These pics show the parts I replaced.

Mike

Attached Files:

10. MDGretz

MDGretz New Member

TxYoteHunter,

For some reason my X looks better in the pics than it does in person. I mean it does have a lot of dings in the stock, as a bunch of young boys would be likely to do. This gun really has seen a lot of use.

Don't know if you've fired yours yet, but they really are very accurate. Evidently Iver Johnson knew how to make a good barrel. I remember us boys shooting quarters (propped up against a board) at 50 feet with this gun .. not every time of course, but pretty consistantly.

I couldn't ever sell mine. It's a family heirloom.

Mike
  11. TxYoteHunter

TxYoteHunter New Member

It appears that the only difference in the two we have is the stocks. I don't blame you for keeping it. That should be kept in the family for sure. I got this one from my brother and he got it from a friend and so on. It's seen lots of use and some abuse but I'll get it back into good shape one of these days. I appreciate you sharing the information. And Bill, Thank you again for your help also. You gentleman take care and we'll cross paths again hopefully.

Wayne
  12. MDGretz

MDGretz New Member

Bill,

Your book is listed at MidwayUSA.com, so I think I will order it from them. What is the "blued book 30th edition"?

BTW .. if you want any of these pics in high res (300dpi) for printing on paper, just let me know.

Mike
  13. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

i can alway use pictures of iver johnson firearms especially one i don't hve complete info on.

the blue book is actually "the blue book of gun values" published yearly by Steve Fjestad. this and the "standard catalog of firearms" by Ned Schwing are the two most popular firearms pricing guides.
    bill
  14. outburst402

outburst402 New Member

Bill,

I recently got a IJ 2X from my grandmother. The action is pretty sticky but I think a good cleaning will make it function. I have spent several hours online and have not been able to find a manual for it. Do you have one or know where I could get one. I'm assuming an original is probably not an option but I'd like to get a scanned or photocopied one. Any ideas?

Thanks
  15. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

you will never find an owner's manual (as we know them today) for the model 2X. firearms of the era 1920's 30's & 40's usually included printed operating instructions on the inside of the boxes they were sold in. this includes longarms (shotguns and rifles) except they were usually printed on the outside of the boxes. i have never seen a box for any of the X series of 22 rifles so i am only guessing about where the operating instructions were printed. they may very well have been printed on a hanging tag attached to the rifle if that is the case one of these dayes one may show up.
    bill