Iver Johnson Murder gun

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by Twaits, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Twaits

Twaits Member

Here's an Iver Johnson that I bought a while ago that was supposedly used in a "murder and robbery spree" in upper New York state in the late 20s early 30s
    Serial number is F26193 Cal.32S&W
    I'd love to find more information on this if anyone can provide me with anything. Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Hey Twaits, that is very interesting. I bet Mr. Goforth might be able to give you some info . I am sure he will be around sooner than later.
  3. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

That's neat. Not because the gun was used to kill people, but because it has history.

Alcohol Tax Unit, Department of the Treasury, huh? The predecessor to everyone's favorite gov't agency, BATFE:rolleyes: To this day ATF is nothing but a glorified tax collection agency with overblown delusions of their own importance. But then, I might be a bit biased against them:p One of my grandmother's uncles had a run-in with the Revenuers during Prohibition. He had a still in the woods and they got after him one day. While he was running, his shoe came untied. He eventually tripped over a tree root and the fed grabbed his untied shoe, which came off allowing him to escape. After that, he never tied his shoes:D
  4. 45nut

45nut Active Member

I wonder why the mob amputated his finger?
  5. Twaits

Twaits Member

Funny I never even considered that before :)
  6. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I see things that might tie a Iver Johnson revolver to the crimes, but I see nothing to tie that specify revolver to the individual?
  7. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

RJay it says he had the gun on him when arrested
  8. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

this is a small frame safety automatic hammer 32 S&W revolver. its use at such a late date is the very reason i caution owners of second model safety automatic revolvers about firing their revolver. the second model was manufactured between 1896 and 1908. the F letter code was used in three different years on the small frame second model 1899, 1902 and 1903. only the patent date marking will tell us exactly which year it was made.

because of the history this revolver can not be valued using the normal standards. the value would be far greater to a collector of criminal mememorblia (bad spelling) than to a regular firearm collector.

for those interested there are a couple of other iver johnson revolver that are tied to famous murders. president mckinley was shot and killed by a small frame 32 caliber first model safety automatic hammer revolver and bobby kenedy was shot and killed by a iver johnson 22 caliber model 55S cadet. the kenedy gun disappeared from the police property room while the mckinley gun is in the Buffalo NY historical society.

bill
  9. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Who says he had "that" gun with him and who is to say THAT is the gun? The written commends state he had a gun with him, was it that gun, is the serial numbers listed somewhere in the police report. Is there proverdence on each step of owner ship since he was apprehended. I'm not saying it isn't the same gun, Just that the proverdence isn't shown. Is there a police mark scribed on the gun, is it listed in the evidence file. If all of that is there it is indeed a nice piece of history, otherwise a good story. I hate to be a spoil sport, It's just that I've seen too many Wells Fargo shotguns:)
  10. Twaits

Twaits Member

Bill,

This gun is a good example of a black powder gun that was used with a steady diet of smokeless powder. The gun no longer functions and I don't have any intention of fixing it. Note the severe flame cutting in the picture below. Also everything on the gun is really loose:

[​IMG]
  11. Twaits

Twaits Member

Anyone know how I can move this post to the C&R section?
    I think I posted it here by mistake. I really don't care what it
    is worth and this one is sort of impossible to gage anyhow.
    Thanks.
  12. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Twaits - it actually IS in the C&R section! If it was posted somewhere else, one of the Mods probably put it in the proper location.
  13. Twaits

Twaits Member

Oh ok. Thanks!
  14. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

I don't see "flame cutting" only a dirty revolver that has not been cleaned in a long, long, time. It's not uncommon to see abused IJ revolvers shot alot and left dirty. They also tend to shoot loose at the joint and latch. Sometimes, the latch screw will bend or stretch. Giving the screw a 1/2 turn may tighten it up. But if anyone wants to shoot one of these load some shells with black powder first.
  15. Twaits

Twaits Member

45Auto, I couldn't get any closer with the camera but there is a distinct groove right behind the rear of the barrel on the inside of the topstrap.