The Firearms Forum banner

Iver Johnson notch on handle?

2K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  captmike2 
#1 ·
I recently purchased and Iver Johnson s/n 48534 Pat Aug 25.96 Hammerless revolver. I'm trying to research as much as possible before I take it to the range, and have it checked out by a gun smith. if anyone could help on the manufactured date I'd appreciate it.

But there is a mark or etch, across the back of the handle,,, almost like a notch on a bed post ;) I'm really curious about that. I have no history on the gun, purchased it from a friend.

If anybody could clue me in on the habits of the people back in the day when it was purchased I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
Mike

#5 · (Edited)
Remove the left side grip to reveal the serial number and letter code. This is required for dating as well as caliber and is it a top break or solid frame.
Notches like that are not uncommon as simply to identify ones personal weapon. Sometimes you'll see something similar on the grips, both sides, as to be spotted from either side of the gun.
This is not to say that it hasn't been used to kill someone. It may very well have a higher body count than Clyde Barrow. But probably not!

#7 · (Edited)
Well, that barrel marking was used 1899 until 1911, The D Prefix was used twice in that serial number range, in 1901 and in 1911, Since Iver Johnson didn't go to a strengthen frame until 1909, I don't know if you have a smokeless frame or a black powder frame. Maybe I'm missing something, don't know. perhaps a picture of the bottom of the grip with the patent dates would help. That file mark does not look like a"memory notch ", but rather like a cut mark a small child would make with a three corner file. Memory marks or coup marks were made on the grips. FWIW, the ideal of gunfighters notching their guns is more or less a dime novel myth. Wasn't done as a rule. More notches were carved after the 1900's than ever before because of the dime novels and the first cowboy movies. There were laws, Coroner inquests and hanging ropes even in the old " lawless days". Even the assassin Jim Miller didn't notch his guns, why advertise that you killed someone. There may have been one or two to do so, but I've never read of them. BTW, many a notch was cut on the grips in the present era to add spice to a gun story and to help sell the gun and story together

#9 ·
:) That Patent marking was used in 1911, if your firearm is in tight condition, it should be safe with modern ammunition, The pressure of the smokeless ammo is the same as the black powder cartridges, smokeless has a sharper power curve. So enjoy.

#10 ·
RJay, Thanks so much for all your answers. I've had 2 gun smiths and a cop check out the gun and they all say it's safe... So I'm going to pick up some .32 S&F fire a few rounds, check the sights, get a feel for the gun then put it away for an emergency.

I might pull it out once in a while... it is kinda cool...

Thanks again!!!
Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.