Iver Johnson Pistol Age?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Jon C, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Jon C

Jon C New Member

I have a Iver Johnson Model 1900 22 Cal pistol s/n 19766 stamped on the trigger guard and also on the frame under the handle. It has a 7 round removable cylinder and a 1-3/4" barrel. On the top of frame is stamped IJDouble Action & Model 1900. I got the pistol from my grandfather after he died 42 years ago. Any idea on when it was manufactured
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Your Iver Johnson was made the second year of production of this model,1901. Serial numbers in 1901 went from 12001 through 23000. After a hundred and so years the metal and springs are very prone to breakage and there are no parts and few gunsmiths will work on them, it is best to retire it to a place of honor on the wall. It was made during the black powder era, so if it were mine and I wanted to shoot it a few times, just to see if it shoots, I would acquire some low power " CB " shorts. The CB shorts contain no powder and are propelled by only the primer. They are a hoot to shoot and should not harm your gun, as pressure is almost non existent. Hope that helps.
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  3. Jon C

Jon C New Member

Ron
    Thanks for the info, you have been very helpful. If I were 111 years old I wouldn't want to work too hard either.