Iver Johnson Pistol Info

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Mtmtnmn, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Mtmtnmn

Mtmtnmn New Member

I have a IJ pistol in great condition with 4" bbl. and I believe 38 cal. The serial number is H36316 under the left grip and 36316 above the cylinder and on the trigger guard. It has the orginal grips with the owl looking straight at you. It has IJ Arms and Cycle Works and the Mass address on the top of the barrel and a patent date of November 17, 08 on the butt with pat's pending under that.

I would like to know what year it was made and what type of .38 ammo should be used? I have a new box marked .38 Smith & Wesson which is much shorter than a .38 special.
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

THIRD MODEL SAFETY AUTOMATIC HAMMER REVOLVER
    (Smokeless Powder Cartridges)--------------------1909-1941
    LARGE FRAME AND SMALL FRAME VERSIONS USES HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION: Double top post barrel latch with Hammer the Hammer action. This model redesigned to be strong enough for smokeless powder. All coil springs, hard rubber grip panels with Owls head at top, optional oversize grips of hard rubber or wood were offered. Two frame sizes, four calibers, Standard barrel length: small frame 3 inches, large frame 3 ¼ inches. Calibers: small frame .22 rimfire 7 rounds cylinder capacity, .32 centerfire 5 rounds cylinder capacity, large frame .32 Special centerfire with 6 rounds cylinder capacity, .38 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity; Weight: small frame .22 rimfire with 3 inch barrel 13 ounces, .32 centerfire with 3 inch barrel 13 ½ ounces, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel .32 Special 19 ounces, .38 centerfire with 3 ¼ inch barrel 18 ¼ inches; Height: small frame 3 ¾ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 3/16 inches, large frame 5 inches; Overall length: small frame with 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 7 3/8 inches. Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see. The Third Model features a double top post barrel latch, coil hammer spring and four cross pins in the lower frame.
    VALUE: 100%=$250 60%=$115

this third model safety automatic hammer model serial number H 36316 was manufactured in 1921, there were 11,400 manufactured that year. the box of 38 S&W you have should be the correct ammo unless it is a six shot and then the correct ammo would be the 32 S&W Long.

bill
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  3. Mtmtnmn

Mtmtnmn New Member

this third model safety automatic hammer model serial number H 36316 was manufactured in 1921, there were 11,400 manufactured that year. the box of 38 S&W you have should be the correct ammo unless it is a six shot and then the correct ammo would be the 32 S&W Long.

bill

Thanks Bill, that is exactly the info I was looking for.