Iver Johnson Pistol - Need Identifying

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Leepetro, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Leepetro

Leepetro New Member

I got a Pistol from my father on Christmas. He said he got it from his Grandmother. This is my first firearm and I am beyond a newbie to guns. But I do want to know the history of this gun. My dad said its a .38 S&W , I noticed the Owls heads on the handle and did a google search.

This is what I know. Its an Iver Johnson Pistol, 5 Shot, Owl Looking directly at you, Serial Number C707##. Black Grips. I have attached a photo.

Im looking to figure out what year it was produced, what model, etc, just the basic info. I appreciate everyones help.

Attached Files:

2. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I'm not hte expert on S&W, but I do have one bit of information for you.

The .38 S&W is NOT the .38 Special (SPL) you see in the stores today. The original .38 S&W was lengthened by a bit and called the .38 Special. They will not fit in most .38 S&W guns, but will chamber in a few. They are more powerful than your gun was built for. DO NOT USE THEM. Make sure what you buy are 38 S&W, if you are going to shoot this gun.

Pops
  3. crazy charlie

crazy charlie New Member

I have serial number C416xx.
    Pistol probably made in 1896.
    Nickel finish was standard and the blue model was probably special order.
    There are pros and cons about shooting these. Some say no others say yes as they were originally made for black powder. I've fired mine and put it away as it was my Grandfather's.(deputy sheriff Cook Cty. IL)
    The .38 S&W is sometimes referred to as the .38 short. Do not try to fire .38 spl. in it . The .38 spl will most likely destroy the gun, not to mention the shooter.
    If I were you I'd oil the bore, wipe down the nickel with a silicone cloth and put it away.
    The nickel looks good in the photo worth not less than $100 to &125.
  4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

leepetro,
    your revolver is a third model "safety automatic hammer revolver". serial number C707XX was manufactured in 1912 (C62500 to C72000), there were a total of 9,500 of this model manufactured that year. all third model 'safety automatic revolvers' were designed for modern smokeless ammo.

THIRD MODEL SAFETY AUTOMATIC HAMMER REVOLVER
    (Smokeless Powder Cartridges)--------------------1909-1941
    LARGE FRAME AND SMALL FRAME VERSIONS USES HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION: Double top post barrel latch with Hammer the Hammer action. This model redesigned to be strong enough for smokeless powder. All coil springs, hard rubber grip panels with Owls head at top, optional oversize grips of hard rubber or wood were offered. Two frame sizes, four calibers, Standard barrel length: small frame 3 inches, large frame 3 ¼ inches. Calibers: small frame .22 rimfire 7 rounds cylinder capacity, .32 centerfire 5 rounds cylinder capacity, large frame .32 Special centerfire with 6 rounds cylinder capacity, .38 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity; Weight: small frame .22 rimfire with 3 inch barrel 13 ounces, .32 centerfire with 3 inch barrel 13 ½ ounces, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel .32 Special 19 ounces, .38 centerfire with 3 ¼ inch barrel 18 ¼ inches; Height: small frame 3 ¾ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 3/16 inches, large frame 5 inches; Overall length: small frame with 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 7 3/8 inches. Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see. The Third Model features a double top post barrel latch, coil hammer spring and four cross pins in the lower frame.
    VALUE: 100%=$250 60%=$115
    bill
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  5. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

crazy charlie,
    the iver johnson's arms & cycle works 'safety automatic revolvers' were manufactured between 1894 and 1946. some of them were designed for black powder pressures but the third model was designed for smokeless powder. the C letted code was used on all three different models of the large frame hammer version. to determine the exact year of manufacture of your revolver with the C letter code i will need a picture and the marking found on the top of the barrel and the bottom of the butt strap.
    bill
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  6. Leepetro

Leepetro New Member

Thanks Everyone!!
  7. RJay

RJay Active Member

Your old Iver looks to be in very good shape. You don't see many like that. Most are well used tools.