Iver Johnson Pistol

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Elwyn, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Elwyn

Elwyn New Member

I recieved an Iver and Johnon's Arms & Cycle Works pistol. I believe it's a 38 special. Under the grip is the number 'I 30426'. On the grip where the screw holds the grip on is the leters I J. It is hammerless, and nickle plated.

Elwyn
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

elwyn,
    first thing is this is not a 38 special the correct caliber is 38S&W. do not try to fire a 38 special in this revolver. the cylinder is to short and if you did suceed in getting a 38 special cartridge in the cylinder and firing it the cylinder and top strap would blow up in your face.

your revolver is an iver johnson's arms & cycle works large frame second model "safety automatic hammerless revolver". the second models were manufactured between 1896 and 1908 and were manufactured for BLACK POWDER CARTRIDGE PRESSURES ONLY THEY ARE NOT CONSIDERED SAFE WITH MODERN AMMO. your revolver was manufactured in 1903. the "I" letter code was used one the second model hammer version in 1903 and the hammerless models used the 'J" letter code that year. i have a hammer model with the "J" letter code so i guess a hammerless model with the "I" letter code is possible.

the standard barrel length for the large frame models is 3 1/4 inches, the standard finish is nickel and the grips are hard rubber. the second model has the highest production of in the safety automatic revolver. there are actually three models mnufactured between 1894 and 1941, with more second models manufactured than first and third combined.
    bill
  3. Elwyn

Elwyn New Member

Thank you. Do you know what it might be worth? Some of the nickle is coming off, but not much. All I'm looking for is a general value.

Elwyn
  4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

value is very dependant upon condition. i would suggest you look at some of the auction sites to see what other are asking. general speaking a safety automatic revolver in poor condition is about $40 and in excellent condition $150+. the later produced 50 series is about the same.
    bill