Iver Johnson Pistol

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by kimmy37872, Aug 28, 2006.

1. kimmy37872

kimmy37872 New Member

my dad just gave me an Iver Johnson. The numbers under the grip are
    C22501. What calibur is this and what year was it made. I am a lady so don't know much other than what I might find on the net. thanks in advance
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Welcome Kimmy
    Can you get us a picture?
  3. kimmy37872

kimmy37872 New Member

ok here are 2 pictures. Also what is all this I am reading about not to shoot modern ammo with this gun????

Attached Files:

4. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

I've moved your question into a thread of its own, to make sure it is not overlooked, and to avoid the confusion that comes with discussing two separate firearms in one thread. Our Iver Johnson expert will be along soon to help you out. :)
  5. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

These pistols were made during the black powder era and designed for black powder loads only. Any use of modern smokeless powder loads could destroy the gun and cause harm to you. That is why we recommend not using modern loads in these guns. Black powder loads are no longer available and can only be found as collectors items with high dollar amounts in their price tags. Hope this helps.

Bill Goforth, our resident expert, will hopefully be around shortly or you can visit his website at:

http://users3.ev1.net/~goforth/
  6. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

kimmy,
    pictures are a little dark and some features are not visable. but knowing the serial number helped me decide this is a second model safety automatic revolver. the second model was manufactured between 1896 and 1908. this revolver with serial number C22501 was either manufactured in 1896 or 1900. the exact barrel marking and patent dates will be need to determine which of these two years is the manufacture date. 1896 manufacture should have four patent dates; APR.6.86, FEB.15.87, MAY 10.87 DEC.26.93( or AUG.25.96) marked on the top of the barrel. 1900 manufacture should have five patent dates; APR.6.86, FEB.15.87, MAY 10.87, MAR.15.88, AUG.25.96 marked on top of the barrel. both of these barrel markings are two lines with the company name and address being the top line (IVER JOHNSON'S ARMS & CYCLE WORKS FITCHBERG, MASS. U.S.A.)
    which ever year it is a second model designed for black powder cartridges pressures only and should not be fired with modern ammo
    bill

ps.
    i should add the C letter code was also used on the third model (1909-1941) but the pictures suggest ths is a second model. to determine exact model remove the grips, first and second models have single flat leaf hammer spring, third model have coil hammer spring.
    bill