Iver Johnson Pistol

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by epicdoom, Dec 7, 2009.

1. epicdoom

epicdoom New Member

Hello: I am hoping one of you fine folks and tell me some information about this revolver. Any and all info is welcome. This was my Fathers firearm. He didn't take very good care of it as it's a bit rusty but seems to work fine. Below are some pictures of any and all information on the revolver. I would like to know when it was made, what caliber it is. That sort of thing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanx In advance
    Joe
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

you have a small frame 32 S&W caliber third model safety automatic hammer revolver. serial number G 35327 was manufactured in 1918, there were 8,500 of this model made that year.

THIRD MODEL SAFETY AUTOMATIC HAMMER REVOLVER
    (Smokeless Powder Cartridges)--------------------1909-1941
    LARGE FRAME AND SMALL FRAME VERSIONS USES HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION: Double top post barrel latch with Hammer the Hammer action. This model redesigned to be strong enough for smokeless powder. All coil springs, hard rubber grip panels with Owls head at top, optional oversize grips of hard rubber or wood were offered. Two frame sizes, four calibers, Standard barrel length: small frame 3 inches, large frame 3 ¼ inches. Calibers: small frame .22 rimfire 7 rounds cylinder capacity, .32 centerfire 5 rounds cylinder capacity, large frame .32 Special centerfire with 6 rounds cylinder capacity, .38 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity; Weight: small frame .22 rimfire with 3 inch barrel 13 ounces, .32 centerfire with 3 inch barrel 13 ½ ounces, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel .32 Special 19 ounces, .38 centerfire with 3 ¼ inch barrel 18 ¼ inches; Height: small frame 3 ¾ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 3/16 inches, large frame 5 inches; Overall length: small frame with 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 7 3/8 inches. Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see. The Third Model features a double top post barrel latch, coil hammer spring and four cross pins in the lower frame.
    VALUE: 100%=$250 60%=$115

bill
  3. epicdoom

epicdoom New Member

Bill Thank you for that information and your time to look it up. I am soaking the firearn in oil to remove the rust from it I will attempt to put this firearm back into good condition tho I may never shoot it I would like to see it in the condition it was when I was a youngster with my dad at the range. I also have a 7 shot 22 Young america revolver with 127 stamped under the grip I know this was an H-R firearm but all the markings on the barrels are worn completely off or were never there, this one is nickel or chrome and in fairly good condition. would you know any info on this one. I can post pictures of it for you on the top of the frame it says Young America Double Action there are no other markings on the revolver except the 127 under the grip

Joe
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

this is most likely a first model but i will include information on both first and second models.

YOUNG AMERICA DOUBLE ACTION FIRST MODEL
    (BLACK POWDER) ----------------------------------------------1884-1904
    pull pin cylinder release, nickel finish standard, blue considered rare, marking on top strap only “YOUNG AMERICA DOUBLE ACTION” or “YOUNG AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION” two frame sizes
    SMALL SOLID FRAME .22 RIMFIRE 7 SHOT, octagon barrel, lengths of 2, 4½ and 6 inches
    MEDIUM FRAME .32 S&W CALIBER 5 SHOT, octagon barrel, lengths of 2, 4½ and 6 inches
    First Variation will have a round barrel & nickel trigger guard-----------1884-1887
    Second Variation will have a octagon barrel & nickel trigger guard-----1888-1897
    Third Variation will have a octagon barrel , blue trigger guard and company name and address on left side of barrel--------------1897-1904
    VALUE: First Variation 100%=$275 60%=$100 Others 100%=$225 60&=$65
    For all Young America Double Action variations and variants add 15% premium for blue finish and 10% premium for 4½” or 6” barrels.

YOUNG AMERICA DOUBLE ACTION SECOND MODEL SMALL FRAME
    22 RIMFIRE CALIBER--------------------------------------------1905-1941
    .22 short rimfire 7 shot, pull pin cylinder release Nickel finish, blue optional 2, 4½ & 6 inches barrel lengths, will have caliber and company name & address marked on side of barrel, Top strap will be marked “YOUNG AMERICA DOUBLE ACTION” or “YOUNG AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION” . After 1930 listed in catalogs as; YOUNG AMERICA No. 70 DOUBLE ACTION
    VALUE: 100%=$235 60%=$65
    For all Young America Double Action variations and variants add 15% premium for blue finish and 10% premium for 4½” or 6” barrels.

YOUNG AMERICA DOUBLE ACTION SECOND MODEL MEDIUM FRAME
    .32 S&W CALIBER---------------------------------------------- 1905-1941
    5 shot cylinder capacity, pull pin cylinder release, Nickel finish, blue optional 2, 4½ & 6 inch barrel lengths, will have caliber and company name &
    address marked on side of barrel, Top strap will be marked “YOUNG AMERICA DOUBLE ACTION” or “YOUNG AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION” . After 1930 listed in catalogs as; YOUNG AMERICA No. 73 DOUBLE ACTION .32 Rimfire short 5 shot and YOUNG AMERICA No. 74 DOUBLE ACTION .32 S&W 5 shot
    VALUE: 100%=$225 60%=$65

bill
  5. epicdoom

epicdoom New Member

Bill Again Thank you for your help. From your description I figure this one is a first model second variation as it has solid frame,2" octagon barrel and nickel guard. Here are some pictures of the firearm. I dont think it ever had the manufacturer stamped in the barrel, as I have seen on the web. The finnish dosn't look worn off is it possible it didn't have the markings.?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bill Again I would like to thank you for your help and time looking up the infomation on these firearms for me. I am a Lic. Firearms collector through the State of Maryland. I'll be taking these to have them registered in my name to add to my collection. Knowing the history on them is great and I have you to thank for that.

Joe
  6. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the only marking on the "young america" first model second variation are the model name on the top strap. there sohould be no other markings.
    bill
  7. epicdoom

epicdoom New Member

there are no other markings on the firearm other then the numbers 127 under the grip have to remove grip to see them

Joe