Iver Johnson Pony .380

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by confederatemule, Apr 17, 2009.

1. confederatemule

confederatemule New Member

Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, corner of Texas
    This may not be in the correct folder, if not, I hope it can be over looked.

I am very seriously considering buying an Iver Johnson Pony .380. It is in a wooden box with a Texas Border Patrol Badge carved/stamped into the top.
    The gun has gold lettering. I do remember the date 1985 being stamped on the right side of the barrel, along with other writing. There is writing on both sides of the barrel. It has wooden grips. It looks like it is in excellent condition.

I was assured that it originally came in that box.

I want it as a concealed carry.

The price is $279.00

Are there any opinions.

Mule
  2. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Most of the Ponys were very nice guns. It sounds like a good deal.
  3. confederatemule

Thanks for your opinion.

Mule
  4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

i would need to see a picture to be sure but it could be one of these;

U. S. BORDER PATROL COMMEMORATIVE-------------------------------------1983-1984
    380 ACP Pony engraved, limited to 500, some sold as match pairs in wooden presentation cases
    VALUE: Unknown none have been seen on the used firearm market, but at least 100% more than normal production

MODEL X300 PONY MEDIUM FRAME SINGLE ACTION--------------------------1978-1993
    Single action semiautomatic pistol; Caliber .380acp; barrel length 3 inches; finish blue, nickel or matte blue; grips checkered wood; sights front blade rear adjustable for windage only; magazine capacity 6 rounds; no magazine safety; Weight 20 ounces; Frame length 5 inches; overall height 4 ¼ inches; overall length 6 ¼ inches. Three production periods: Middlesex N.J. 1978 – 1982, Jacksonville AR 1983 – 1988 and Jacksonville AR by AMAC 1889 – 1991
    VALUE: 100%=$385 60%=$215
    ADD 10% FOR NICKEL FINISH
  5. confederatemule

I went ahead and bought the gun.

b.goforth, on the right side of th slide, in gold lettering, it says "1924-U.S. BORDER PATROL-1984". I typed it just as it is on the gun, the letters are in uppercase. At the end of the slide it has CAL 380. The serial number is just above the trigger.

On the left side is the Iver Johnson logo and just above the slide lock is, PONY above JACKSONVILLE, AR USA. The word pony is in larger letters than the town and state and country.

There are "no" marks nor scratches nor worn places. The grips are not checkered, but they are wood.

It has "never" been fired. The magazine/clip has never had a bullet put in it.

On the bottom of the wooden box is a white paper sticker, with this typed on it "PISTOL MFGR IVER JOHNSON MOD PONY S#-------- SG# ---- 2 of 2

The S# matches the serial # on the gun. What does SG# mean? I am assuming that 2 of 2 means one gun, one box equals 2 in the set. I don't know.

I am going to ask a question that some folks may think is dumb, but I don't. Is it safe to post pics of it on the internet or a forum?

Mule
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  6. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

i have posted pictures several times and have not had problems. i am not sure what the SG# is unless it is a inventory number or model number. the 2 of 2 marking most likely means there is another pistol involved most likely with a serial number one above or one below the number of this gun. this does sound like half of the border patrol commerative sold as a pair. a price of $279 was about wholesale price for a regular production I.J. Pony in 1983. as mentioned above these has not been seen on the used gun marketplace before. this is the first. did this pistol come from a dealer or collector. the only one of these i have seen is when i visited the factory in 1983.
    bill
  7. confederatemule

Bill, it came from a pawn shop.

Mule
  8. AR1911

AR1911 New Member

Sounds like you got a great deal.
    I'd have been on that like a duck on a june bug!
  9. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

also my thanks for the up date, will go to the site and try to save the pictures.
    bill
  10. e_hdz_22

e_hdz_22 New Member

no joke? that much huh? i wonder how much mine is worth then. new to this sight and i was lookin how much my gun was worth. its in mint condition. sam box as previously discussed never had a bullet in clip, never been fired, and the box has been in a zip lock bag until recently when it was was givin to me by my father. the serial number im assuming is USBP0023 on mine. anybody got any idea how this one is worth? thanx in advance.
  11. confederatemule

e hdz 22, go back to post #4 in this thread. The answer to your question is there. The post is a year old, but I figger it is fairly close to correct.

What part of the world do you live in? I am in the Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana corner of Texas.

Mule
  12. Randy91910

Randy91910 New Member

I realize that this is an old post but I can shed a little light on the value of the U. S. Border Patrol commemoratives. They show up every now and then on our Retired Agents Forum. Usually the owners want to sell to another Border Patrol Family.
    =======================================================

Mrs. XXXX Grant, widow of XXXXXX Grant (62nd Session - 1955) would like to sell her husband's Border Patrol Commemoratives and is hoping to keep these guns in the Border Patrol family.
    Mrs. Grant has a US Border Patrol 50 Year Commemorative (1924 - 1974) S&W Model 66 Stainless Steel 357 Magnum Revolver in the presentation box for $1100.
    In addition, she has a US Border Patrol 60 Year Commemorative (1924 - 1984) Iver Johnson Arms Inc. Pony 380 in the presentation box for $650. Neither weapon has been fired.
    ======================================================
    The Model 66 appears for sale most often and is usually $1100 - $1200. The Pony is seen much less often but $650 seems a bit high to me. I put combat grips on my Model 66 and carried it on duty for 16 years before switching to a Sig P-220 when they became an option. I was never impressed with the .380 cartridge and have an Iver Johnson knockoff of the Walther PPK in .22LR as a backup.
  13. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

Thanks, Randy91910! Due to the greatly missed b. goforth, and Jim Hauff, this is one of the top places on the net for Iver Johnson info, so every bit helps.

In my mind, these Iver Johnson 380's have some connection with a cancelled Colt project to put its name on 380 automatics made by Star in Spain, but since b. goforth does not mention that, I probably have it wrong.

BTW, welcome to the Forum!
  14. confederatemule

Randy91910, thanks for posting more information on the commemorative guns. The Iver Johnson Pony .380 that I have is a beautiful gun. I don't have any plans of ever selling it, but, I don't know what will happen after I kick the bucket.

Mule