Iver Johnson Pony .380

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by jb4249, Nov 8, 2009.

1. jb4249

jb4249 New Member

I have begun a project to 'rebuild' 3 Iver Johnson Pony's, .380 caliber semi auto. A neat little gun. I have 3 set of parts including MOST of what is needed.. I need to find a source for a few more parts. I ordered some stuff from Numrich, but they are out of most of the coil springs. Bob's guns advertise that they have them but no luck, he doesn't do IJ Pony parts at all. So I am asking you if you know of any parts sources. Or maybe some one out there have some parts to sell or possibly a gun for parts. you can reply or contact me of line at jb4249@zoomtown.com
    Thanks, JB4249
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I believe the Ponies are a variation of the Star Model D
  3. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

The only difference in the Star DK parts and the IJ parts is the magazine baseplate.
  4. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

for a very short period of time this was also marketed as the colt pony . you can try looking for colt pony for parts..
  5. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

:) " A Pony by any other name, still smells the same" Isn't that what Billy Shakespeare said? :)
  6. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

exactly which springs do you need? i believe i have most of them. if you are looking for the recoil spring some of them were capitive and some not. the recoil springs can be replaced with capitive ones but the guide rod will also need to be replaced.

there are some differences in the star and the I.J.s other than the magazine base. the I.J.s have a longer slide and frame, these parts are not interchangable.
    bill
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  7. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Sorry, I was thinking of the F.I. mod. "D."
  8. jb4249

jb4249 New Member

Bill, I will get you a list tomorrow. I just got home from a basketball game. I remember that I need a firing pin spring and hammer spring and a few others. I have both types of recoil springs, and not sure if they will both work or which one will work in my guns, I have 3 of them. All apart. I'll get a list and post it tomorrow.
    Thanks, Ted
  9. jb4249

jb4249 New Member

Here are the springs and small parts I still need;
    Firing pin spring, Firing pin retaining pin, Trigger plunger spring, hammer spring, safety spring, safety plunger, and magazine follower spring. If any of you can help please let me know and send me a price list of what you may have. I also have some extra parts for this gun that I will not need and would be wiling to sell or trade for these parts.
    Thanks
  10. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

i finally got around to looking at my pony parts. i have all the parts you listed except the magazine spring. send me a e-mail at goforth2.peoplepc.com if you want a quote on prices. prices quoted will be prepaid postage. what kind of extra parts do you have?

bill
  11. AR1911

AR1911 New Member

Those magazines springs are probably the same as the FI Model D.
    If so, there are none that I've found.
    Rumor has it Colt Mustang springs will work, but I've not tried that.
    I have also heard that Mustang mags will work in a Model D. I've not tried that either, but you might take a look at it.
  12. jb4249

jb4249 New Member

Thanks to you all for your help
  13. jb4249

jb4249 New Member

Bill, I sent a couple of emails with no answer. I had to try to correct the address, maybe I did it wrong. Yoi left goforth2.peoplepc.com, and I changed to goforth2@peoplepc.com. Anyway, I have located a couple of the parts I need. I still can't locate
    teh firing pin retaining pin or the safety plunger spring. I think with these I can complete the first piece, and see how it handles. I can send you a sheet of all of the part I have and highlight what I am iling to part with.
    Thanks, Ted
  14. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

ted
    i have been out of town for a couple of days. check your email.

bill