Iver Johnson question, introduction

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by semi-crazy, Nov 5, 2009.

1. semi-crazy

semi-crazy New Member

Hey everyone just got pointed to this site from a hunting site, liking what I'm seeing here. Just recently inherited an old Iver Johnson that was in pitiful shape, so handed it off to my uncle to get looked at/etc...just got this email from my aunt regarding the gun, so have questions abounded...
    "The owl head grips are all interchangeable I think. But it also needs a barrel latch.
    Here's what I know about it. On the butt of the gun is the serial (?)no. 6929.
    On the inside of the barrel, under the revolver is 4339. Across the top of the barrel it says IVER JOHNSON ARMS AND CYCLE WORKS FITCHBURG MASS USA PAT'D APR 6 86 FEB 18 87 MAY 10 87 DEC 26 93 PATS PENDING. It's either a 25 or 32 caliber. Oh yeah, it's hammerless. I've search til' I'm blue in the face but can't find a schematic or part # for this particular piece. (Uncle) searched too and he said he thinks the part is called barrel latch, but that might not be right either. Let me know what you find."

--any help appreciated!
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

this safety automatic hammerless revolver sounds like a first model manufactured between 1894 and 1897. the barrel latch, release lever on the left side of barrel top strap, most likely is either missing entirely or has the small spring that retains it broken. this small spring can only be hand made by someone who has good gunsmithing abilities. i don not know of any one who remanufactures these very small springs and latches. repairing a first model barrel latch is almost an impossible task.

the owls head grips are not interchangleable between hammer and hammerless models.

bill
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  3. semi-crazy

semi-crazy New Member

thanks a ton, Mr. Goforth! Any idea as to the caliber of this thing? Is there more I can find out w/ pics/etc?
  4. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

send pictures want to seeeeeeeeee
  5. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

i can't tell you any more without seeing pictures.

bill