Iver Johnson Question.

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Old Gun Guy, May 11, 2012.

1. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

Hello!
    I have an Iver Johnson Target sealed 8 frame that I plan on restoring and parkerizing. I don't have a .22LR cylinder for this revolver, but I do have 2 .22 magnum cylinders from an I.J. model 50 sidewinder, and 2 .22 LR cylinders for a model 55 that will work. My question; in your opinion do you think this revolver can handle magnum loads? I would like to use the mag cylinders if I can. This revolver was made in 1947, and has an excellent shiny bore with good rifling. It appears to be a good, solid frame.
    Any ideas or thoughts on this, or does anyone have a .22LR cylinder for this revolver that would be interested in swapping for one of these mag cylinders?
    Thank You!
    Old Gun Guy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Iron Eagle

Iron Eagle Well-Known Member

I'm no gunsmith, but for safety's sake, I'd stick with the .22lr. The magnums generate some pressure.
  3. Iron Eagle

Iron Eagle Well-Known Member

According to the book I have, it was 22lr only.
  4. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

Iron Eagle,
    I thoroughly searched Bill's I.J. book for this info. My thoughts were that since the .22 magnum round wasn't invented till 1959, it was still possible that these later model solid frame revolvers might be able to handle the higher pressures.
    Old Gun Guy