Iver Johnson question

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by LPE, Jun 12, 2012.

1. LPE

LPE New Member

I have a 5 shot .38 cal. revolver, Iver Johnson Arms and Cycle Works, Fitchburg, Mass. Looks like a serial number on the trigger guard, 54665. Cannot find any other marks on gun. Has black handles with owl looking down toward bottom of handle.

Can anyone tell me something about this weapon?
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum can u post pictures
  3. LPE

LPE New Member

will try and get some pix up tomorrow

Pistol has a 6" barrel and a hammer. I have limited ammo.....38 S&W....btw, what does S&W stand for?
  4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Pull the left grip, if there is a letter prefix, that's where it will be. Trigger guards can be changed, the true serial number will be present under the left grip. Unless we know what the prefix is ( or if there isn't one ) no valid information can be given.
  5. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

If the owl is looking down and grips are original, it will be a third model made for smokeless powder, and should have a coil mainspring when you remove the grips.
  6. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

LPE, S&W stands for Smith & Wesson. The cartridges they designed for their own guns wound up becoming the standard for many other guns in 32 and 38 caliber. 38 S&W is different from 38 Special (also known as 38 S&W Special) and is not interchangeable with it - it's a long story.

38 S&W is still made, but is not as easy to find as 38 Special. Bigger gun stores have it, and you can find it at gun shows and on the Internet, but discount stores or big chain sporting good stores won't have it. HTH!
  7. LPE

LPE New Member

This is my Iver Johnson....kinda rough shape.

Attached Files: