Iver Johnson Question ? ? ?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by pwhphd, Jun 30, 2009.

1. pwhphd

pwhphd New Member

I have what I have always thought was an Iver Johnson top-break Safety Automatic Double-Action revolver; however, it does not have any manufacturer's name on the gun. Additionally, there are absolutely no markings, other than what appears to be a serial number (20473) on the bottom of the trigger guard. It is a bouble top post latch, heavy nickel finish, and it has two cross pins in the lower frame. Actually, it appears in every respect to be like the photo Iver Johnson photograph on page 607 of the 2009 Standard Catalog of Firearms. It does not have the original grips and it has a small hole in the butt of the handle (perhaps for a lanyard?). The barrel measures exactly 1.75 inches from the tip to the cylinder. Please provide any information about identification. Thank You.

REVOLVER.jpg
  2. RJay

RJay Active Member

It indeed looks like a Protector Sealed 8 that has been refinished, perhaps buffed so much all the markings have been removed. I believe the little hole in the grip frame is for the grip screw for the original grips. Mr. Goforth will deny or confirm your firearm.
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  3. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the protector sealed eight was offered in 22 fimfire only. this is a third model safety automatic hammer revolver. originally it left the factory with a longer than standard barrel length (either 4,5 or 6 inches) and the optional "western walnut" one piece grips (they were attached by a single screw thur the bottom of the butt.

the only short barrel third model safety automatic revolvers offered from the factory were exactlly 2 inches and the company name and address were marked on the left side of the barrel.

the main serial number location is on the left side of the grip frame (under the grip panels. mosst likely this revolver was refinished at the same time the barrel was shortened.

value would only be as a shootable revolver in the $100 plus range.
    bill
  4. pwhphd

pwhphd New Member

Thank you for the additional information. Is the mumber stamped on the bottom of the trigger guard also the serial number, and if so does it correspond with an Iver Johnson number? Is it likely that the barrel was once longer and had the Iver Johnson information stamped on the barrel, but it was cust off when the barrel was shortened? Finally, what ammunition is it chambered for. While it appears to be a .38, it would have to be a short casing as the cylinder is only 1 3/16" long. I even wondered if it was perhaps just a "knock-off" of an Iver Johnson Safety Automatic.
    Thank you, again, for your valuable input. You are a tremendous resource.
  5. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the number on the trigger guard is a serial number just as the number found on the bottom of the top strap is a serial number but the serial number found on the left side of the grip frame is the main serial number location. the reason i do not make identifications based on trigger guard serial numbers is the fact that trigger guards are interchangable with in each model. barrels are also interchangable within the same model and caliber.

the way to tell if an iver johnson's arms & cycle works safety automatic revolver is original is to compare the three serial number locations.

my iver johnson book and web site has a drawing showing the locations of all the safety automatic revolver markings. i believe this is a true safety automatic revolver and not a clone but it has been altered from its original configuration to make it more useful for the person doing the altering.

bill