Iver Johnson Revolver 32 cal

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by rob_60, Nov 25, 2012.

1. rob_60

rob_60 New Member

I'm new to the forum and have been impressed with the knowledge base of the members. I have an Iver Johnson Revolver from my late father. The markings on the 3" barrel are across the top:

IVER JOHNSON ARMS & CYCLE WORKS, FITCHBURG, MASS U.S.A.
    PAT June 16 96. Aug XX?? Sept 16 04 PAT'S PExxxx
    Serial number S66145
    Data:
    Chrome or nickel finish but not trigger guard. Curved spring in handle ( not coil spring)
    32 cal short 5 shot, no trigger safety, cylinder rotates in normal state

I was expecting to shoot it as I first purchased 32 cal long( too long) then bought 32 short. They fit but after reading this forum, maybe I'll chuck the whole batch.
    Can anyone tell me if it was built for old or new ammo and when it was made?
    thanks in advance.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  2. rob_60

rob_60 New Member

here is the picture

Attached Files:

3. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to TFF.

Your father's gun was made in 1908 for black powder .32 S&W ammo, the last year before upgrades for smokeless powder.

It appears to be in almost new condition, and current .32 S&W loads are kept low because of the many old guns extant, so firing a few rounds will probably not damage it, but regular use will loosen the lockup.

(Do not fire .32 ACP/.32 Auto rounds, which will also fit)
  4. rob_60

rob_60 New Member

HRF,
    Thanks very much. I found an old box of 32 cal Remington Kleanbore with fuzz on the cartridges. Now, more shells than I need/can shoot.
    If I wanted to sell this and the 7 shot "boot" colt, where would you recommend? I've not sold pistols before.
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The Colt is an antique so by federal law it is not a firearm at all. The IJ is not an antique and unless your buyer has a Curio and Relic license, it is the same as a modern gun in terms of sales.

Even though that gun appears to be in excellent shape, value of all IJ revolvers is low; that one would be valued at about $150+, at retail.

Depending on the state you are in, selling to another resident of that state may involve nothing more than selling anything else. But you cannot sell it to an individual who is a resident of another state (no matter where the sale takes place); you can sell it to a licensed dealer or by placing it on consignment with a dealer. Where legal, direct sale is best in terms of obtaining the best amount of money; consignment sale is next. Sale to a dealer will not be good monetarily and selling to a pawn shop will be least advantageous.

Jim